[35.4.1] is there any way to reduce the size of the tar.gz mfi package file?

Hi,
May we ask is it any possible to reduce the size of the tar.gz mfi package file?

According the post: [35.3.1] rootfs folder in the tar.gz file generated by --massflash argument - #9 by KevinFFF , we understand @KevinFFF said that 4.x GB is the expected size of mfi package for Orin NX.
We still want to know is there any opportunity to reduce the size of tar.gz file, generated by –massflash argument?

Thanks a lot.

Hi

Are you using th devkit or custom board for Orin NX?

Have you tried Root File System — Minimal Flavor Root File System to get a smaller size for rootfs before creating mfi package?

Hi @KevinFFF ,
we are using custom board for Orin NX.
Can I use Root File System — Jetson Linux Developer Guide documentation on my custom board?

Thanks.

Hi @KevinFFF ,
the website said “The minimal root file system is a smaller root file system that is used for NVIDIA Jetson develop kits. This file system does not provide the GUI mode, and all manipulations can be completed only by using the SSH or UART console.”

I think that this method cannot apply to my custom board, right?
Besides, the way you provide is to delete some packages of ubuntu to minimize the tar.gz mfi package file.
Is it possible to reduce the tar.gz mfi package without deleting the packages?

嗨,您好,您給的方法是減少packages,來達到 Minimal Flavor Root File System。
我們這邊想問的是,有沒有方法,在不刪除packages的情況下,能減少the size of tar.gz mfi package file呢?

感謝。

Yes, you could use Minimal Flavor Root File System for your custom board.
To customize your custom carrier board, please refer to Jetson Module Adaptation and Bring-Up - Jetson Orin NX and Nano Serie for details.

Actually, the size of your package is strongly depending on your use case since you could remove the packages or any content that you don’t need. What we suggest is just using minimal rootfs.

Or you could try using higher compressing level to generate the tar.gz.
May I know what’s your use case to get the smaller tar.gz file?

Hi @KevinFFF
we have been challenged by the manufacturers because a huge size difference between 35.4.1 and 32.7.1.
Therefore, we try to find a way to have the smaller tar.gz file, and more importantly, to have smaller folder size after decompression.
May we ask why 35.4.1 tar.gz file have the rootfs folder, and 32.7.1 tar.gz file does not have the rootfs folder?

Thanks a lot.

嗨,您好,因為我們被工廠端挑戰,他們不樂見35.4.1的tar.gz檔案比32.7.1的大很多,解壓縮後的大小也差很多。
所以,我們才在詢問有甚麼辦法可以在不刪除packages的狀況下,減少tar.gz檔案大小,並且更重要的是,能讓解壓縮後的大小也縮減。

不好意思,我們能再詢問一下,為什麼35.4.1的tar.gz file會包含rootfs資料夾呢,然後32.7.1的tar.gz file卻沒有rootfs資料夾?
感謝。

R35和R32的SW stack差很多,整體的內容和架構都不同
我們會建議你可以看mfi package裡面哪些東西的檔案比較大,根據你們使用需求看是否能移除

麻煩提供你在R32和R35產生mfi package的指令 以及mfi_*資料夾內的內容讓我們確認下

Hi,
R32的方法: sudo BOARDID=3668 BOARDSKU=0001 FAB=100 FUSELEVEL=fuselevel_production ./nvmassflashgen.sh $PRODUCT_NAME-$TARGET_SOM-emmc mmcblk0p1

R35的方法: sudo BOARDID=3668 BOARDSKU=0001 FAB=100 ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --network usb0 --massflash 10 $PRODUCT_NAME-$TARGET_SOM mmcblk0p1

下圖是mfi資料夾的結構,可以看到R35多了rootfs folder,占5GB多吧。謝謝。

看起來是因為R32和R35使用不同的script來產生mfi package
你能嘗試刪除R35 mfi_P100N-nx/rootfs再把它包成tar.gz來燒錄看看

$ tar -zcvf mfi_P100N-nx.tar.gz -C ./mfi_P100N-nx

您好,您的意思是刪掉rootfs資料夾,然後重新打包tar.gz檔案,然後在解壓縮,燒錄嗎?
因為我這樣子做以後,就燒FAIL了。如圖,

那看起來是不可行的
R32跟R35的打包方式和內容都不太一樣
其實這麼做的用處也不太大,理論上host上的空間並不差這些,在意的應該還是燒進去板子的內容
建議還是根據你們的用途,看看rootfs底下哪些東西不需要的可以把它移除來優化空間

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.