361.28 crashes Matlab R2016a

Same error in Ubuntu 14.04 driver 367.57 with MATLAB 2016a and NVIDIA Quadro K2200. MATLAB 2015b in the same machine works flawlessly. Any idea or working version of the driver?

Have the same errorā€¦ has anyone fixed this yetā€¦?

Hi there,

I have the same error with NVIDIA Quadro M2000M using OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26. Iā€™m using MATLAB 2016b.

You can temporarily fix the problem by extending MATLABā€™s LD_LIBRARY_PATH (NOT THE SAME as the environmental variable set in ~/.bashrc) to: <matlab_location>/sys/opengl/lib/glnxa64.

For instance my Unity desktop file looks like so:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=MATLAB R2016b - academic use
Icon=/usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_share_icons_hicolor_48x48_apps_matlab.png
Path=/home/gtinchev/.local/share/applications
Exec=sh -c 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/MATLAB/R2016b/sys/opengl/lib/glnxa64; matlab -desktop | bash'
StartupNotify=false
StartupWMClass=MATLAB R2016b - academic use
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
X-UnityGenerated=true

Now, this will force MATLAB to use Mesa openGL that is located at /usr/local/MATLAB/R2016b/sys/opengl/lib/glnxa64 and opengl info will give you something similar to this:

>> opengl info
                          Version: '2.1 Mesa 10.5.2'
                           Vendor: 'Brian Paul'
                         Renderer: 'Mesa X11'
                   MaxTextureSize: 16384
                           Visual: 'Visual 0x23, (RGBA 32 bits (8 8 8 8), Z depth 16 bits, Hardware acceleration, Double bufā€¦'
                         Software: 'true'
             HardwareSupportLevel: 'none'
        SupportsGraphicsSmoothing: 0
    SupportsDepthPeelTransparency: 1
       SupportsAlignVertexCenters: 0
                       Extensions: {156Ɨ1 cell}
               MaxFrameBufferSize: 16384

Iā€™ve tried linking the libraries from /usr/local/MATLAB/R2016b/sys/opengl/lib/glnxa64 to the NVIDIA ones, but it seems that thereā€™s a problem with how MATLAB reads it, so Iā€™m still experiencing the same issue.

This is a bit messy solution, but hopefully an update will roll out soon.

can also confirm.

with Ubuntu 16.04, MATLAB 2016b, and NVIDIA 361.42

I am also having this problem, with Linux Mint 17.3, Matlab 2016a, and 367.57. I havenā€™t experienced any crashes, just errors. Logs are below.

>> opengl info
MATLAB has experienced a low-level graphics error, and may not have drawn correctly.
Read about what you can do to prevent this issue at Resolving Low-Level Graphics Issues then restart MATLAB.
To share details of this issue with MathWorks technical support,
please include this file with your service request.
                          Version: ''
                           Vendor: ''
                         Renderer: 'None'
            RendererDriverVersion: ''
        RendererDriverReleaseDate: ''
                   MaxTextureSize: 0
                           Visual: ''
                         Software: 1
             HardwareSupportLevel: 'none'
        SupportsGraphicsSmoothing: 0
    SupportsDepthPeelTransparency: 0
       SupportsAlignVertexCenters: 0
                       Extensions: {}
               MaxFrameBufferSize: 0

There is also a set of java errors provided at startup:

Academic License

com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: X11GLXDrawableFactory - Could not initialize shared resources for X11GraphicsDevice[type .x11, connection :0, unitID 0, handle 0x0, owner false, ResourceToolkitLock[obj 0x77d77901, isOwner false, <63496e1e, 69dca67e>[count 0, qsz 0, owner <NULL>]]]
	at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXDrawableFactory$SharedResourceImplementation.createSharedResource(X11GLXDrawableFactory.java:326)
	at jogamp.opengl.SharedResourceRunner.run(SharedResourceRunner.java:297)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: glXGetConfig(0x1) failed: error code Unknown error code 6
	at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXGraphicsConfiguration.glXGetConfig(X11GLXGraphicsConfiguration.java:570)
	at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXGraphicsConfiguration.XVisualInfo2GLCapabilities(X11GLXGraphicsConfiguration.java:500)
	at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXGraphicsConfigurationFactory.chooseGraphicsConfigurationXVisual(X11GLXGraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:434)
	at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXGraphicsConfigurationFactory.chooseGraphicsConfigurationStatic(X11GLXGraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:240)
	at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXDrawableFactory.createMutableSurfaceImpl(X11GLXDrawableFactory.java:524)
	at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXDrawableFactory.createDummySurfaceImpl(X11GLXDrawableFactory.java:535)
	at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXDrawableFactory$SharedResourceImplementation.createSharedResource(X11GLXDrawableFactory.java:283)
	... 2 more

Oddly, however, gpuDevice seems fine:

>> gpuDevice

ans = 

CUDADevice with properties:

Name: 'GeForce GTX TITAN X'
                     Index: 1
         ComputeCapability: '5.2'
            SupportsDouble: 1
             DriverVersion: 8
            ToolkitVersion: 7.5000
        MaxThreadsPerBlock: 1024
          MaxShmemPerBlock: 49152
        MaxThreadBlockSize: [1024 1024 64]
               MaxGridSize: [2.1475e+09 65535 65535]
                 SIMDWidth: 32
               TotalMemory: 1.2791e+10
           AvailableMemory: 1.2234e+10
       MultiprocessorCount: 24
              ClockRateKHz: 1076000
               ComputeMode: 'Default'
      GPUOverlapsTransfers: 1
    KernelExecutionTimeout: 1
          CanMapHostMemory: 1
           DeviceSupported: 1
            DeviceSelected: 1

Landak, itā€™s not odd, this means that MATLAB recognises your video card, but the NVIDIA OpenGL driver is not working. Thatā€™s all. Waiting for NVIDIA to release a fix I guess. Until then you can use my solution above.

Having the same issue and gtinchevā€™s fix worked for me. Iā€™d rather have a working NVIDIA OpenGL driver, but I suppose this will do for now.

In case anyone is wondering how to make it permanent, one way to do it is to create a file called ā€˜startup.mā€™ in your MATLAB default directory (open MATLAB and type ā€˜pwdā€™ if you donā€™t know it) that contains the following command:

setenv('LD_LIBRARY_PATH',[getenv('LD_LIBRARY_PATH')  ':<path to MATLAB>/sys/opengl/lib/glnxa64']);

where, of course, you should replace with the path to MATLABā€™s root directory on your system.

I was getting similar error messages running Matlab 2016a on Ubuntu 14.04 with the Nvidia 375.26 drivers. It appears the issue is related to the GLVND GLX client. I suspect Matlab 2016a does not conform to Linux OpenGL ABI version 1.0. I solved the Matlab issue by installing the non-GLVND GLX client library by adding the --no-glvnd-glx-client to the command when I ran the Nvidia install script. Matlab is only the OpenGL application that I am actively using on Linux so I am not sure what the ramifications of installing the non-GLVND GLX client library are on other OpenGL applications.

I found the information about GLVND vs non-GLVND in the Chapter 8. Common Problems section of the html documents that get installed.

I solved the problem by installing the matlab-support 0.0.21 package.
Ubuntu 16.04, MATLAB 2016b, NVIDIA 361.42

Hi everyone, I faced the same problem instead I donā€™t have a NVidia drive. But I solved the problem by installing the last graphic drivers by the commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa - to add the repository of any drivers(Nvidia, AMD, etc)

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

during the installation of the drive, it started to configure the Matlab automatically.

Maybe it can work for Nvidia.

Ubuntu 16.04 - Matlab2015a - AMD CAICOS GPU

1 Like

Hi everyone,

seems like this problem still persists in the current CentOS 7.4, now already with the newest MatlabR2017b and driver version 384.90.

Cheers.

Hi,

I got the problem fixed by upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04, using NVIDIA 375.66 driver and MatlabR2017b.

>> opengl info
                          Version: '4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.66'
                           Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation'
                         Renderer: 'Quadro M2000M/PCIe/SSE2'
                   MaxTextureSize: 16384
                           Visual: 'Visual 0x27, (RGBA 32 bits (8 8 8 8), Z depth 16 bits, Hardware acceleration, Double buffer, Antialias 8 samples)'
                         Software: 'false'
             HardwareSupportLevel: 'full'
        SupportsGraphicsSmoothing: 1
       SupportsAlignVertexCenters: 1
                       Extensions: {333Ɨ1 cell}
               MaxFrameBufferSize: 16384

I am referring to CentOS, as in the original first post of this thread. However, now in the most recent release 7.4 and with following GPU specs:

>> opengl info
                          Version: '4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.90'
                           Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation'
                         Renderer: 'GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2'
                   MaxTextureSize: 32768
                           Visual: 'Visual 0x27, (RGBA 32 bits (8 8 8 8), Z depth 16 bits, Hardware acceleration, Double buffer, Antialias 8 samples)'
                         Software: 'false'
             HardwareSupportLevel: 'full'
        SupportsGraphicsSmoothing: 1
       SupportsAlignVertexCenters: 1
                       Extensions: {366Ɨ1 cell}
               MaxFrameBufferSize: 32768