[367.57] NVIDIA Settings not Persistent on Startup

Hello,

In order to fix screen tearing issues using the NVIDIA proprietary drivers on Fedora 24 (Kernel 4.7.6; KDE Plasma 5), I had to enable ForceCompositionPipeline as a Screen option in X11. This resolved all of my issues pretty much instantly, which is awesome. Except I noticed something.

I use 3D applications such as Maya extensively, and I want to shift to *nix systems in order to take advantage of their performance boost. For some reason, even with VSync disabled in Compositor and ‘Sync to VBlank’ and ‘Allow flipping’ also disabled, the Maya viewport (driven by OpenGL) seems locked to 60 FPS. Running ‘glxgears’ however gives me frame rates of ~6.5K. When not using FCP I was getting ~130 FPS on scenes with no AA or SSAO.

Is there something I’m missing? I would like to be able to get the maximum performance out of Maya on this Quadro K2000. Having 60FPS with and without anti-aliasing and then dropping immediately to 30FPS with SSAO is not the most ideal setup.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

I don’t know what I did, but I fixed the issue. It may have been me just disabling compositing, then re-enabling it after a sign-out/sign-in. But now I have a second issue, which I can’t seem to solve with all of the help online.

After restarting, my NVIDIA preferences are not loading automatically. If I run nvidia-settings --load-config-only then the card performs at Maximum performance, but defaults to Adaptive at every startup.

I have a saved ~/.nvidia-settings-rc that works fine with the above command. But, no matter what file I edit I can’t get the system to load my settings. I’ve tried editing /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc as well as creating a duplicate and adding the above command to ~/.xinitrc but those don’t work either. I’ve also attempted to add the “0x2222” setting as an option in xorg.conf but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That’s the right command to run, but where to put it depends on your login manager and desktop environment.

Hi Aaron,

I was able to figure it out a few days ago. I created a script with the command in it and attached it as a startup item. Solved the problem for good. Actually, I tanked the machine attempting to install Wacom drivers, and just redid this for GNOME in CentOS 7. Worked like a charm.

I take it back, using glxgears doesn’t give a VSync issue, but it still loads with Adaptive. Any solution for forcing Maximum Performance on GNOME?