[390.12] System hangs with 100% CPU Unkillable Process (GTX970)

I have been testing 390.12 last weekend, and ran into full system freezes. With 384.111, that I’m using now again, I have zero issues.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i5-4670K
RAM: 16gb @ 2400Mhz
Distro: Ubuntu 16.04
DE: AwesomeWM 4.2 / Gnome-Shell
Kernel: 4.13 Generic (From Ubuntu HWE Stack)
Xorg: X.Org X Server 1.19.5 (Also from HWE Stack)

Sometimes I can press powerbutton for clean shutdown. Sometimes I cannot. So I decided to open laptop and SSH in, from there I could see a process using 1 core fully using “HTOP” (Though sometimes HTOP would be frozen aswell.) It shows a load of 133% on that process then. I have seen Chrome use 133%, sometimes Xorg…but also 1 time kworker.

I first thought it was an issue with Chrome. Since I had something weird with that aswell (adding it here as a symptom perhaps.) Whenever I moused over to it (it got focus), it would actually make the screen flikker weirdly. Same thing was happening with a Wine game, where effects of the game that I had on my middle screen, actually went out of the window border onto my left and right screen.

Anyways, I decided to try installing Ubuntu 17.10. I also had freezes there. I installed Xorg Edgers PPA to get newest mesa. Still freezing. Then I installed Linux 4.15r8. Still freezing. I stopped Overclocking CPU / GPU, I updated bios, still freezing. So I figured it was time to post here.

Freezes happen at random times, sometimes with heavy load, sometimes with idle pc while I’m afk. It has happend right after starting up. And sometimes after 2 hours. And with 17.10 it seemed harder to get response over SSH. But I finally managed to get a (partial) Nvidia-Bug-Report that I’m attaching here. X was started with -logverbose 6. After I froze, I let it run for around 5 minutes before I resetted PC.

Now this all said, I was quite happy with 390.12 since I actually found a game that gives me 50% increased FPS over 384.111. So let me know if you need more information, and I’ll see if I can provide.


nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (87.5 KB)

I’m going to assume for now that it is the same issue as here:


Tested for two hours now on 390.12 without CompositionPipeline, no lockups, but can’t stand the tearing anymore. Will retest with next release, and mark as solved if that solves it.

Fixed in 390.25. Thanks.