390.25 on 4.15 kernel: Everything is faster when HW acceleration is disabled

Hi all,

I’m experiencing a bizarre issue: 390.25 driver is slowing down everything when applications are using HW/GPU features.

I have a 1070 card and use Cinnamon on Arch and after upgrading, I’ve noticed a bunch of bizarre things:

New driver cannot use ForceCompositionPipeline and ForceFullCompositionPipeline when enabled in xorg.conf file. Xorg shows a blank black screen and a mouse pointer. Xfce and GNOME Shell act the same way.

If you disable ForceCompositionPipeline, apps like Firefox and Chrome and lagging severely when scrolling or playing videos. The only way to “fix” it is to disable HW acceleration. Then it’s actually fast again. So things are faster without HW acceleration

When compiling and running CUDA programs, I’m getting segmentation faults and Xorg server often coredumps as well.

I’ve tested this on two different machines with a 1070 and 1080Ti cards nd 390.25 driver and 4.15 kernel. None of these issues are present with 387.34 running on 4.14. I’ve been using Nvidia under Linux for years and have never experienced such a bad driver before.

Anyone know what’s going on?

Thanks!
Nick

I had same issue (severe lagging on Chrome and Firefox playing videos) yesterday on 16.04 ubuntu (4.13 core, lightdm, unity UI). I have a GTX950 card. When switched to 387.34 everything got back to normal. Thought I was the only one with these problem but after googling I see that’s not the case: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/117675/system-unusably-slow-after-upgrading-to-nvidia-39025-driver/