4-way SLI GPU

I have an employee who is looking to do a 4-way GPU with a GTX 1080/1070, however, I heard that NVIDIA no longer allows 4 GPU SLI.

Here are the specs they are asking for:
Motherboard: ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS
CPUs (x2) Xeon E5-2630 v5
CPU cooling (x2) Dynatron R17
RAM Samsung, Micron, or Kingston from manufacturer-approved list, 4 or 8 x 32 GB
GPU (x4) NVIDIA GTX 1070 or 1080, depending on funding, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc. depending on
availability, dual or triple fan.

Agisoft Photoscan is specialized, processing intensive software that utilizes structure-from-motion (SfM) techniques and which we use extensively in student research and classes. Processing with Photoscan is a multi-step process. Of the steps, two are particularly intensive: camera alignment and dense cloud construction. The camera alignment step runs exclusively on CPUs, typically takes tens of minutes to 40 hours, and is fairly efficient at multithreading. Dense cloud construction benefits greatly from GPU acceleration and typically takes hours to days. Without GPU acceleration, dense cloud construction is not feasible for anything but very small models. Photoscan uses single precision only with GPU acceleration, and it is very efficient at utilizing multiple GPUs.

Can you help me out and let me know if this is something that is compatible, and if not what options are out there?

Virtualise it.

SLI is a hardware technology. Use a Software technology, it’s much more flexible and scalable. When you virtualise GPUs, you can use many more GPUs in your system. With my current platform, if I was so inclined, I could fit 9 double wide GPUs inside a single virtual machine, and as long as your application can make use of the GPU’s, they’d all get used.

Subject to ESXi working on that hardware, buy it all, then lay ESXi 6.5 over the top of it. Pass-through all 4 GPUs into a single VM and you’re done!

I say use ESXi, because it’s so much easier to use than KVM or XenServer when doing this particular thing.

Hope that helps …