455.23.04: Page allocation failure in kernel module at random points

@aplattner is your patch included in the latest beta driver 460.27.04?

Been using the patched driver for 10 days now without any more lockups. Hoping to go back to PPA/DKMS builds.

Improved the memory allocation strategy in nvidia-modeset.ko to reduce the likelihood of out-of-memory errors, which typically manifest as ā€œpage allocation failureā€ messages in the kernel log.

1 Like

Yes, the beta contains the fixes for this bug. Please let me know if you still experience this problem with 460.27.04.

2 Likes

I am still having the same kernel null pointer freeze after an hour with 460.27.04. I am running 4 monitors and a shadowtech VM on gentoo with kernel-5.9.15. The shadowtech VM seems to be the trigger. It happens every time after the ShadowTech VM runs for about an hour. 450.80.02-r1 runs with no issues

@harrisl The NULL pointer bug is a different bug. Itā€™s being discussed here: Bug report: 455.23.04 - Kernel Panic due to NULL pointer dereference

As for page allocation errors, Iā€™ve been running 460.27.04 for about 5 days and havenā€™t seen this error.

To confirm, upgraded from patched 455 driver to 460 beta and havenā€™t had a lock-up in 9 days.

1 Like

Confirmed here as well.

Had identical problem on Linux Mint: several crashes per day after lots of I/O. Installed beta. Did lots of I/O. No problems for a week. Thanks much for the fix.

1 Like

Every 1-2 days I was having similar crashes with nvidia_modeset. After upgrading to 460.32.03-0ubuntu0.20.10.1 havenā€™t had a single crash. Thanks!