5.1 vs 5.2 sigsegv 11 using MPICH

Hello,

I’ve recently installed 5.2-4 and mpich 1.2.6 on Linux x86_64. In 5.1-6 the my code executes without a problem. In 5.2-4, the code crashes with sigsegv 11. Incase you are wondering, i’ve installed two seperate versions of mpich, each compiled with their respective compiler. I was able to trace the crash to to MPI_SCATTER(). Here are the lines of code:

!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
call MPI_SCATTER(sgrid%sph(1:gnn_even,1), l_gnn, MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION, &
lgrid%sph(:,1), l_gnn, MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION, master, MPI_COMM_WORLD, ierr)
!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve also tried the above without a non-derived data type, i.e.

allocate(sgrid_sph1(gnn_even),sgrid_sph2(gnn_even))
allocate(lgrid_sph1(l_gnn),lgrid_sph2(l_gnn))

lgrid_sph1 = 0.0
lgrid_sph2 = 0.0
sgrid_sph1 = sgrid%sph(1:gnn_even,1)
sgrid_sph2 = sgrid%sph(1:gnn_even,2)

call MPI_SCATTER(sgrid_sph1, l_gnn, MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,&
lgrid_sph1, l_gnn, MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION, master, MPI_COMM_WORLD, ierr)

Am I seeing an incarnation of the bug mentioned in TPR 3439 on the FAQ; its description is so vague!

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

TPR 3439 is probably not releated since it has to do with serial code. For you, I’d first make sure that your not encountering a stack overflow by setting your MPSTKZ environment variable to the largest allowable value for your systems.
Example:

setenv MPSTKZ 8M

If this doesn’t work, then please submit a detailed problem report to trs@pgroup.com since it would most likely be too envolved of a problem for the user forums. Of course, if any other user has encounter a similar problem, please feel free to post your experiences!

Thanks,
Mat