510.54-RTX3090-Ubuntu 20.04 Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module

Oh, I have to stay remain Ubuntu 20.04 to use other software. Could I use Software&Updates application to install the missing firmware?

Just try to download the linked .deb and try to install it.

1 Like

I have download and installed the deb file and it worked! But my system was updated to 21.10 automatically. Could I roll back to Ubuntu20.04 or what can I do? Thank you very much!

In addition, I have just tried to remove the installation of the .deb file and the same issue came again, so I think it might be the .deb file ( linux-firmware 1.201.4) that really matters.

??? A system upgrade to a newer Ubuntu version shouldn’t happen by installing a simple .deb package. I just tried it myself, only the firmware package got installed. How did you trigger the upgrade?

Oh , in that case I may have done something wrong. The network was too slow so I added a local mirror in the source list. When I finished the installation, I used sudo apt update and saw hundreds of packages to update, so I upgated them and rebooted, and finally found my Ubuntu have been updated.
But I found the Nvidia driver still worked correctly, so I think I just need to downgrade the system, right?

Then you likely used a wrong mirror so you now have some frankensteinian ubuntu version. Though I don’t know how to revert that without reinstalling.

Maybe that’s right. Thank you very much for your advice (^▽^). Perhaps I need to reinstall ubuntu to use CUDA. Hope it would not take too long.

I reinstalled ubuntu 20.04 and did all that discussed above and succeeded very quickly! Thank you again for your patience and help (。・∀・)ノ゙! Hope this topic can help more people using latest nvidia cards.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.