515.76 Nvidia Drivers

If you have nvidia included in your mkinitcpio modules, you probably need to manually run mkinitcpio -P after updating. Updating the nvidia driver doesn’t automatically update your initcpio, so if you update the driver and reboot without updating your initcpio, it will boot to black screen.

Nvidia 515.76 has some issues for certain users. Downgrade to 515.65 and you should be good. There has been a bug report submitted to nvidia and also for nvidia-open.

Here is just one of the threads…

There is something wrong with the drivers for quite a few people.
It’s been 5 days and Nvidia haven’t said a word yet.

Hi All,
Thanks for writing to us.
Will really appreciate if you can share nvidia bug report fetched in repro state which will help us to triage issue.
Meanwhile I will also try internally for local repro.

Please see this post from the other day for bug reports

ran the bug report script in ssh after black screen.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (297.2 KB)

The pre-x.log is after the computer booted, while it is on tty login screen before logging in, made via ssh.

The nvidia.log was also made via ssh, after logging in on the computer and doing startx
pre-x.log.gz (255.2 KB)
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (349.7 KB)

We have filed a bug 3817621 internally for tracking purpose.
Shall try to reproduce issue locally and update further on it.

1 Like

We were able to duplicate issue locally and are currently debugging it.
Shall keep updated on the same.

2 Likes

Thank you for checking in.

1 Like

I was able to find some help on the Linux Graphics forum that should help you. See link below.

Issue has been root caused and fix is integrated in future release driver.

1 Like

would it still be 515.76 or some other number?

I am asking coz I am wondering whether I should upgrade to 515.76-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 or not.

I would not upgrade yet. The driver with a fix has not been released yet.

Fwiw, looks like this was fixed in the latest driver: Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver | 520.56.06 | Linux 64-bit | NVIDIA

Fixed a regression in 515.76 that caused blank screens and hangs when starting an X server on RTX 30 series GPUs in some configurations where the boot display is connected via HDMI.

1 Like

Right on! It’s in testing in the Arch repos. Good news for arch and arch based distros.

520 doesn’t seem to fix the open gl problems for me, mentioned here: What is the current recommended driver for NVIDIA+Xorg in Ubuntu 22.04?

Please try latest released driver 520.56.06, it has the fix.

the fix for ths you mean: regression mutter-42+nvidia= Cause extreme lag when dragging a window if there is any video or animation or even some application like fedora media writer is running causes extreme lag (#2233) · Issues · GNOME / mutter · GitLab ?

I am using 520.56.06-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 but I am still experiencing huge lag with opengl windows