A couple of getting started questions

Hello everyone, I need your help. I am starting to use Cuda. All i did is I installed cuda toolkit 6.5. My GPU is Geforce 650 Ti, os: windows 7.

1. Do I already have nvcc compiler? Was it installed with this toolkit?

2. How to compile projects on NVCC, like the CUDA SAMPLES. Please provide a link to resource or step by step explanation.

3. I don’t want to use Visual Studio for my own projects (as long as it is not free). Is there any free alternative?

Now I mainly interested in how to compile CUDA projects. So please you explain me how to compile one of the CUDA Samples.

Thanks in advance.

Update: Is that true, that without VIsual Studio I cannot use nvcc compiler at all??? So I cannot use CUDA at all.

1. Yes
  2. You need visual studio. In fact, you should install visual studio before installing CUDA. With those pieces assembled, following the getting started doc:

[url]CUDA Toolkit Documentation

1. The free alternative to visual studio is visual studio express edition. You can download the VS 2013 Express for Windows Desktop, install it first, then install CUDA 6.5, and you will have everything you need.

Update: Yes, CUDA is only officially supported on Visual Studio (for windows platforms.)

Thanks a lot!

Forget “Visual Studio Express”, get the “Visual Studio Community 2013” - free with pretty much the same features as the paid professional version.