Acceptable build?

I looked around the forum and this seems like the appropriate place to post this. My apologies if I am mistaken.

I’m hoping to build a system to begin programming in CUDA. The computer will be used mainly in the field of computational finance. The following is what I’ve come up with thus far along with some help from some individuals on EggXpert. My main concern is the compatibility of these components with one another and with CUDA. I am open to all suggestions and criticism. Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated.

Case: Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (potentially temporary)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR3 1600
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-1475M
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan (2)
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black 1TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (for operating system and applications)
Fans: Koolance 120x25mm 108CFM with grills (9)

I’m hoping to run Linux and I have very few applications (Matlab, R, a trading platform, and an IDE). If all goes well, I hope to add two more Titans in the future along with a full Koolance water cooling system. In terms of budget, it is exactly where I would like to be. Thank you for reading. I look forward to your responses.

You mention a future build might include 2 more Titans… if having full PCI-E 3.0 x16 bandwidth on all GPUs is a necessity, I would not recommend that specific motherboard. From the motherboard specs page:

“4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x16 or x16/x8/x16 or x16/x8/x8/x8, red)”

see:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/535051/ideal-motherboard-for-multi-gpu-setup

The recommendation, however is expensive and larger form factor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157327

Other than that, I would think your setup would behave fine under Linux.

Thank you so much for your input. I would have totally overlooked this. So I’m going to revise my build above with the ASRock X79 Extreme11 and Corsair Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1600. Thank you again.

I’m responding in a form of somewhat experience. I’m all for building custom workstations for both Gaming and Work. However, under server forms that are going to see some compute abuse, I like to work with a vendor because more often then not, they offer peace of mind. My last machine is a Supermicro GPU Server tower (dual socket, 4 double width slots) which I use daily and see’s all sorts of random type computations. I worked with people at AdvancedHPC out of San Diego CA. They get you enterprise quality equipment that works right, with the warranties without being too harsh on the Wallet. I mean, quotes never hurt to get. The warranty issue is huge with me. It lets me concentrate on writing the code, not fiddling with hardware when it doesn’t work appropriately. Anyways, just my two cents. Oh and AdvancedHPC also did a burn in on equipment before it was shipped which was nice to just open the box, plug things in and go to town on configuring the system.