ACCESS_VIOLATION crash when attempting to Import Facial Animation

Based on the error it looks like it has to do with the initial pop-up window that allows you to browse and find your USD file.

LoginId:8b7de1a2479917aa24fdf89fe0c26f5b
EpicAccountId:b2d39ce77f144dfeaa5b6d942b829eb0

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

UnrealEditor_OmniverseEditor!SOmniverseImporterDialog::ConstructDialog() [D:\w\583008d1b9ecd47d\Engine\Plugins\Editor\NVIDIA\Omniverse\Source\OmniverseEditor\Private\OmniverseImporterDialog.cpp:73]
UnrealEditor_OmniverseEditor!SOmniverseImporterDialog::ShowDialog() [D:\w\583008d1b9ecd47d\Engine\Plugins\Editor\NVIDIA\Omniverse\Source\OmniverseEditor\Private\OmniverseImporterDialog.cpp:191]
UnrealEditor_OmniverseEditor!TBaseFunctorDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy,<lambda_d93d73751951dcc61b3fffdc684dc531> >::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\w\583008d1b9ecd47d\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:839]
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Thank you @avenunm for joining the forums! Just for clarifications, you were attempting to import facial animation onto a Metahuman, and after clicking the Import Facial Animation option you received a crash? Can you confirm what version of the UE Connector you are using as well? Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the response!

This worked as expected at one point and suddenly stopped. I have access to a virtual machine where I’m confirming it works as expected. I’ve uploaded a document that shows the VM functioning as expected vs how my personal PC is responding.

I’m currently using version 200.1.290, I’ve also tried using older versions but ended with the same result.

I’ve uninstalled omniverse and used the cleaning tool that erases all the remains. Upon re-install it continues to trigger this error and it’s specifically when the browse dialog box is supposed to pop up.
Personal PC vs Virtual Machine Expected Results.docx (2.2 MB)

@avenunm Thank you for the update. I am going to file a ticket for this and look into it.

1 Like

@avenunm Will you have the crash when opening “Export to Omniverse” dialog?

1 Like

@avenunm Confirmed the crash. Will be fixed in the next release

1 Like

I must say, the turnaround time is incredible. To answer your question, yes i did also have the issue with the other approach.

As Im new to the forum, can you provide candence details on when the update would be that would include this patch?

Also, is there any temporary workaround I can leverage? Id love to know root cause I do that type of work on Oracle applications.

@avenunm, the crashing lines will access the GEditor->GetActiveViewport() pointer without validating it. I assume there’s a way to run the editor without an active viewport? If so, this is causing the issue.

If you’re handy with building plugins you could patch your code to remove the the line in the code where the screen position of the importer dialog is set.

Here’s a patch:
FixImportExportDialogCrash.diff (3.0 KB)

The line to remove looks like this in Omniverse/Source/OmniverseEditor/Private/OmniverseImporterDialog.cpp, around line 80:

.ScreenPosition(FVector2D((float)(GEditor->GetActiveViewport()...

As for the specific cadence for releases, if you look at our Update Announcements Topic you’ll find that we update about every 1-2 months. You can add a watch on it to be notified via email whenever we put out an update.

Wow you guys are incredible! It made me realize that it was simply because I was jumping straight into my project and attempting to import a USD asset/Integration with Omniverse, without first, selecting a viewport so the location of the dialog box would know where to display. I’ve confirmed that activating the viewport allows it to work perfectly, even if the viewport is minimized after activated

I’ll attempt to perform the change in the code.

This exchange has been extremely helpful, have a great day!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.