Advantages and disadvantages of articulations over joints

This may be a fairly straightforward question, but still.
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of articulations over joints? When should I use one or the other?

One can read the difference in the PhysX SDK manual:
https://nvidia-omniverse.github.io/PhysX/physx/5.3.1/docs/Articulations.html

Does that help?
Regards
Ales

I read the manual, but it is not entirely clear why it is better. The sentence “Typically, we achieve higher simulation fidelity with articulations as they have zero joint error by design” is quite vague. Maybe this is a topic of research, I’ll try to look into it then.

There is a fundamental difference about the simulation.
So for example if you have a FixedJoint then if its simulated as a maximum coordinate joint, even though the DOF movement is locked there is still a constraint that has to be solved and hence if you have two objects connected you will see some movement between the objects.
On the other hand if you have articulated fixed joint the there is no DOF enabled so there will be no movement.
In a sense for joints you have by default all DOF enabled and you restrict/limit some. With articulations you have by default all DOF disabled and you enable some.

Ales

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.