After Reboot, Unprivileged Users Can not run CUDA programs deviceQuery prints cudaGetDeviceCount FAI

Here’s the setup. This is a new system that I’ve been configuring for the first time today.

CentOS 5.5 64-bit, 4 x C2050s, SELinux disabled, NVIDIA Developer Drivers version 3.2 (64 bit), Cuda Toolkit 3.2.9 (64 bit), SDK 3.2

The problem I’m having is that following a reboot, normal users can not run any CUDA programs. Attempts to run deviceQuery print the following:

[codebox]

deviceQuery Starting…

CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)

cudaGetDeviceCount FAILED CUDA Driver and Runtime version may be mismatched.

FAILED

Press to Quit…

[/codebox]

I have also noticed that in /dev , the expected nvidia0-3 and nvidiactl entries are not present. However, if I log in as root and run deviceQuery, it works. The /dev/nv* entries get created, and I can now run CUDA programs as a normal user. Alternatively, I can log in as root and run the script posted here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&…st&p=272085 . This loads the /dev/nv* entries and permits me to run CUDA programs as a normal user.

The trouble is that every time I reboot, I have to either run that script or execute some CUDA program as root. I don’t understand why this is necessary. I can add the script to my startup routine, but this feels like a messy workaround. I must have done something wrong during the installation - otherwise everyone would be having this problem. Can anyone advise what I should check to determine why the /dev/nv* entries aren’t getting created when an unpriviledged user tries to invoke a CUDA program following a reboot?

Thanks,

Bill

PS. Thanks to jfvillal for posting a followup to his question yesterday. That helped me find the script referenced above.

Here’s the setup. This is a new system that I’ve been configuring for the first time today.

CentOS 5.5 64-bit, 4 x C2050s, SELinux disabled, NVIDIA Developer Drivers version 3.2 (64 bit), Cuda Toolkit 3.2.9 (64 bit), SDK 3.2

The problem I’m having is that following a reboot, normal users can not run any CUDA programs. Attempts to run deviceQuery print the following:

[codebox]

deviceQuery Starting…

CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)

cudaGetDeviceCount FAILED CUDA Driver and Runtime version may be mismatched.

FAILED

Press to Quit…

[/codebox]

I have also noticed that in /dev , the expected nvidia0-3 and nvidiactl entries are not present. However, if I log in as root and run deviceQuery, it works. The /dev/nv* entries get created, and I can now run CUDA programs as a normal user. Alternatively, I can log in as root and run the script posted here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&…st&p=272085 . This loads the /dev/nv* entries and permits me to run CUDA programs as a normal user.

The trouble is that every time I reboot, I have to either run that script or execute some CUDA program as root. I don’t understand why this is necessary. I can add the script to my startup routine, but this feels like a messy workaround. I must have done something wrong during the installation - otherwise everyone would be having this problem. Can anyone advise what I should check to determine why the /dev/nv* entries aren’t getting created when an unpriviledged user tries to invoke a CUDA program following a reboot?

Thanks,

Bill

PS. Thanks to jfvillal for posting a followup to his question yesterday. That helped me find the script referenced above.

I have the same problem. Ubuntu 10.04 @Â amd64, devdriver_3.2_linux_64_260.19.14, cudatoolkit_3.2.12_linux_64_ubuntu10.04.

I have the same problem. Ubuntu 10.04 @Â amd64, devdriver_3.2_linux_64_260.19.14, cudatoolkit_3.2.12_linux_64_ubuntu10.04.