Apalis TK1 is not turning on any more nor entering recovery mode

I CAN NOT ENTER RECOVERY MODE USING HARDWARE METHOD.
mentioned here : https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/imx-recovery-mode#enter-recovery-mode
NOR ENTERRCM COMMAND METHOD since i can not see any output on the serial output monitor when turning on the board also can not find it as usb when typing lsusb in vmware.
i have tried different module on the same carrier ixora board it worked fine to enter recovery mode using short circuit tech.
i think the apalis tk1 module is failing to power on after i tried to install jetpack using easy installer from toradex over l4t which was already installed on the module. then it asked for rebooting i rebooted and get stuck into this problem.
could you please help me !
thanks in advanced

When mixing vmware it is hard to know where the error is. The problem is that VMs tend to lose ownership of USB devices or networking as a series of disconnects and reconnects occur. If there is any way to try this using an actual Linux host PC, then results will have much more meaning.

That said, if the module can enter recovery mode on one board, but not on the other board, then this implies the module itself is probably ok. Either the VM or the carrier board (or power supply to the carrier board) is probably at fault. Lack of any serial console output does tend to point to some sort of hardware error, but only if the serial console is not being run under a VM.

Do note that a board support package has to be used for the particular module/carrier board combination to boot correctly, but that the actual carrier board used during the flash shouldn’t matter (recovery mode does not depend on a device tree). Flashing itself will never “brick” a module…the module may not boot, but another flash should be able to fix a bad flash.

I don’t know what the particular “recovery-linux.sh” script does, but the “tegrarcm” it refers to is from NVIDIA. Typically a third party TK1 hardware device will use the same L4T/Ubuntu install as that which NVIDIA publishes for the developer kit, but will first overlay a custom device tree (and perhaps a custom kernel) prior to flash. If the network failed to download any required software, or if the VM failed to take ownership of the USB custom device (the TK1 module in recovery mode), then flash itself will fail (and boot will then fail).

Toradex may need to answer your questions, but some suggestions might be possible if you can attach the “recovery-linux.sh” script (if you hover your mouse over the quote icon in the upper right of one of your existing posts, then other icons will show up…the paper clip icon is for attaching files). You might need to rename the “.sh” extension “.txt”.

I have tried a native PC with linux. and it was the same.

recovery-linux.sh is calling ./tegrarcm; which is "
This program is used to send code to a Tegra device in recovery mode.
It does not supported locked devices with an encrypted boot key, only
open devices such as the ventana, cardhu, or dalmore reference boards.
It is not capable of flashing firmware to a device, but can be used to
download firmware that is then capable of flashing. For example in
ChromeOS tegrarcm is used to download a special build of u-boot to the
target Tegra device with a payload that it then flashes to the boot
device. " as they mentioned here https://github.com/NVIDIA/tegrarcm
however it seems that my apalis tk1 is locked and i need to unlock it to be able to flash on it.

my Q is, why did hardware recovery method work? i have tried to shorten J4 pin 2 and 3 it did not work. also I have tried to shorten recovery mode pads as mentioned in data sheet page 63 below https://docs.toradex.com/103129-apalis-tk1-datasheet.pdf but also it did not work.
please advice.

best regards,
Rama

So a “locked” device isn’t something which can be “unlocked”. I do not work on locked devices, but unless I am wrong (and I could be wrong), then what this is saying is that the fuse which requires a particular key has been burned in permanently. Thus the key would need to be known before the software can be flashed. This is more or less for finished products being sent to customers as a security measure.

As another detail perhaps relevant to this, a fused boot key is different from an inability to reach recovery mode. Failing to reach recovery mode would be a hardware error, but failure to be able to interact properly with a recovery mode TK1 having a burned fuse key is hardware/software working as intended for security purposes.

Is this a used device? I don’t know if Toradex would send out devices with a burned fuse, but it seems unlikely. Has it had development on it before, and is it possible someone has customized the secure boot fuse?

NOTE: Not finding tegrarcm would be yet another error.