Applying materials and textures from .mdl files

Hi!

How to import material and texture from a .mdl file in Python API? Through GUI, it is quite simple, I can select the material from the material browser and apply it to objects.

I found the OmniPBR class, but there one cannot specify the .mdl files, but rather all the asset paths and parameters manually. Core [omni.isaac.core] — isaac_sim 2022.1.1-release.1 documentation

One option is through some more low-level APIs Frequently Used Python Snippets — Omniverse Robotics documentation
However there I am not sure what is meant by “Set material inputs, these can be determined by looking at the .mdl file” What does this mean? Do I need to manually treat each material differently?

Thank you.

I ended up using function to create the material:

omni.kit.material.library.create_mdl_material(
        stage,
        material_url,
        material_name,
        on_create_fn)

unfortunately the link to the docs where the function is located stopped working, whatever that might mean.
To bind the material one can then use the snippets from Frequently Used Python Snippets — Omniverse Robotics documentation

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.