Arch Linux 5.18.7,GTX 1080 Ti NVIDIA 515.48.07 Kernel Panic when starting GNOME

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (275.4 KB)

dmesg.log (121.5 KB)

Hi,

I’m able to boot to GDM, but when I try to launch gnome-shell after entering my password and start the regular GNOME Xorg Session the Monitor tries to modeset and nothing happens. I was able to see in dmesg that the kernel paniced with some nvidia related calls.

The bugreport was generated before this issue happened (still on GDM). I tried to do it after the kernel panics, but the bug report script hangs. I tried the recommeded parameters but nothing happens for minutes until suddenly the fans are blasting at 100% so I turned the PC of to avoid damaging the card. Check the dmesg dump I attached separately which is after the panic.

Unfortunately I don’t know which last driver version was working fine as I haven’t used this PC for some time.

Regards,

Tim

Please check whether your user is added to the correct group to use the nvidia gpu
ls -l /dev/nvid*

Hi these are the permissions which seem quite normal. I can’t remember that the regular user ever had permissions for the device file so all is root.

tim@archlinux ~ % ls -l /dev/nvid*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 0 30. Jun 2022 /dev/nvidia0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 255 30. Jun 2022 /dev/nvidiactl
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 254 30. Jun 2022 /dev/nvidia-modeset
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 234, 0 30. Jun 2022 /dev/nvidia-uvm
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 234, 1 30. Jun 2022 /dev/nvidia-uvm-tools

Also since I use the system packages all of that is setup automatically anyways and permissions should not cause kernel panics in the driver.

Your wifi is missing firmware (unrelated).
The kernel trace is really not giving much information about where the problem might be. Tried downgrading to the 470 legacy driver?

It’s a desktop PC using Ethernet so I never bothered with Wifi. Using 470 driver series works. However, for me this is just a work around.

I was also able to get to the desktop with the current driver 2-3 times, but the chance of getting through the modesetting without crashing the driver is something like 1 in 20.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/driver-515-43-04-515-48-07-crash-using-gtx980m/216615

New driver works for me. Thanks for pointing it out.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.