Assembler Error

I am currently testing the compatibility of the PGI (and other) compiler with a application on our Linux system. The compile of one of the modules fails with the following messages:

/tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:5014: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is N' /tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:5015: Error: invalid character '_' in mnemonic /tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:10835: Error: invalid character '_' in mnemonic /tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:10839: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is N’
/tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:10859: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is N' /tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:10860: Error: invalid character '_' in mnemonic /tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:16676: Error: invalid character '_' in mnemonic /tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:16680: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is N’
/tmp/pgf902GTbIub0vG2N.s:16700: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `N’

Using
pgf90 10.4-0 32-bit target on x86 Linux -tp core2
Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2000-2010, STMicroelectronics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

What is the error and what can be done to get pass it?

Hi RRollins,

Most likely it’s compiler error. Can you either post or send to PGI Customer Service (trs@pgroup.com) a reproducing example along with your system info?

Note that 10.4 is a few years old so this error may have been fixed already. If you have access to a newer compiler, you may want to give it a try. Also, what happens if you compile for 64-bits?

• Mat

I basically get the same result using the -tp=x64 option.

I’ll work on putting to together a smaller sample that reproduces the error.

I’ll also check with the powers that be to see if we can get an up-to-date version.

Thanks to the help.

-Rickey

FYI

The error was caused by a space preceding the name in a BIND statement.

SUBROUTINE NFIP_Sat_ChnMap_CldMskChnUseFil(Obj, CldMskChnUseFil)
BIND(C, NAME=’ NFIP_Sat_ChnMap_CldMskChnUseFil’) :: NFIP_Sat_ChnMap_CldMskChnUseFil

was changed to:

SUBROUTINE NFIP_Sat_ChnMap_CldMskChnUseFil(Obj, CldMskChnUseFil)
BIND(C, NAME=‘NFIP_Sat_ChnMap_CldMskChnUseFil’) :: NFIP_Sat_ChnMap_CldMskChnUseFil

and the compiler stopped complaining.

Rickey

Hi Ricky,

I tried to recreate the error by adding a space as the first character in BIND name, but no luck. So there’s more to this issue.

Can you please compile with “-Mkeepasm” and then post the offending assembly instructions? Also, what assembler version are you using?

Thanks,
Mat