Assigning permissions

Hello,

When testing out the permission settings in nucleus we ran into some tedious although manageable tasks. It would be amazing if files placed in a folder inherited the permissions of the containing directory or at least for new files.
On another note but also in the same scope, It would be very nice if we were able to change permissions on multiple files at the same time. Is this gonna be available for a coming release?

1 Like

Hi @jonatan.bergstrom. I notified the development team. Thanks for reaching out.

Hello @jonatan.bergstrom !

The permissions of the parent folder are inherited by default in case permissions for paths inside the folder don’t explicitly mention a principal, e.g.:

/some/folder ACLs are “group1”: “rw”, “user1”: “rw”
/some/folder/file ACLs are empty

^ in this case /some/folder/file ACLs are effectively the same as for /some/folder. When the ACL check is being done for each operation (read or write), a principal is selected - it’s either a username or any of the groups this user belongs to. In case the principal is not explicitly mentioned in the ACLs for a given path, the parent path is checked recursively until the root is reached (in which case the default behavior is “denied”).

WRT the ability to change ACLs for multiple files: do you mean an ability to recursively change ACLs for a given folder or do you mean shift-selecting multiple files/folders within a folder and changing ACLs just for the selected paths?

Hello @dduka!
Ok, good to know. would it not be good then, for readability’s sake to show the inherited permissions on the nested files/directories?

On the selection note My thought would be the shift-selecting multiple files/directories and changing it for them. But it would also be good that if I change if for a folder the contents would inherit the permissions, but if I understand you correctly that already happens, unless a specific file in the folder has other permissions?

but if I understand you correctly that already happens, unless a specific file in the folder has other permissions?

Yes, that’s correct.

I agree it would, although this is potentially expensive at the moment. We will give it a thought though, thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

I created an Internal Feature Request ticket for these functions: OM-37617

1 Like