Audio cuts/drops, hdmi, for some months now

Some months ago I started experiencing audio drops, small cuts, randomly.

I opened an issue over here:

Thinking is was some issue with pipewire but it seams it’s not. Since in the past I’ve had audio issues with nvidia drivers, is there anyone else noticing or having these random hdmi audio drops/cuts?

Thank you

For me audio dropouts started after an upgrade (kernel 6.6.9->6.6.15 and other SW) on Kali Linux a couple of days ago.
The dropouts occurred only on HDMI connect to a 4k monitor with speakers.

I could fix the dropouts by locking the memory clock of my discrete nvidia card to a fixed value.

sudo nvidia-smi --lock-memory-clocks=210,420

As described here the dropouts seem to be related to memory clock changes. It seems to be unrelated which frequency I set, without clock changes no dropouts occur.
I set the frequency to the lowest possible value and have about 20W power consumption and 95% of GPU memory usage without dropouts
when playing video with firefox.

My hardware:
$inxi
CPU: 8-core 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H (-MT MCP-)
speed/min/max: 2924/800/4600 MHz Kernel: 6.6.15-amd64 x86_64 Up: 1h 51m
Mem: 7.14/31.1 GiB (22.9%) Storage: 1.4 TiB (57.8% used) Procs: 369

$inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia v: 525.147.05
Device-3: Chicony HD Webcam driver: uvcvideo type: USB
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.11 driver: X:
loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris
gpu: i915,nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch resolution: 1: 3840x2160~60Hz
2: 1920x1080~144Hz
API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: iris,nvidia,swrast
platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 23.3.5-1
renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (TGL GT1)

Thank you for your post that maybe lead to the problem. No, nothing to do with the memory clocks.

3 days ago I had a false alarm. I though it was fixed after I removed my mellanox connectx-3 network card until I got the same audio drops 3 days after removing it.

The nvidia utility ( thanks to you ) : nvidia-smi dmon --select e
…was showing pcie errors and that raised and eye brow. I have then changed pcie gen4 to gen3 in the bios since that is my new lead. The utility has yet to show any pci errors so far when running at pcie gen 3 and no audio drops have happen yet with the mellanox connectx-3 network card installed.

Since this is so random, I need days to pass and hope… that also seams to help (sometimes).

I have ordered a new pcie 4.0 riser and will see it that helps.

Yeap, after a few risers, it was the riser. Settled on linkup ava5 riser and all problems fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.