Auvidea J120 with 2 working USB 3.0 ports

Hello,

Has anyone been able to get the Auvidea J120 https://auvidea.com/j120/ working with both USB 3.0 ports? If so, did you have to do anything special to get them working? I’ve been using this board for a while and I have never been able to get both USB 3.0 ports working. Only the top port works as USB 3.0. I have tried every firmware release posted to their web site.

Most recently I’ve tried Jetpack 3.0 with their latest patches.

Thanks

Hi Visionear,

You may need to contact with Auvidea to get help.

Thanks

Yes, you need to install special DTS files, re-build the DTBs in the kernel directory on the host, and re-flash the Jetson.
If you don’t want to do that, there is also a downloadble set of kernel images and built DTB files you can download from their site and install. Their instructions are terse, but can be followed (see the bottom half about using the pre-built images.)

https://auvidea.com/firmware/

Click to download the 1.1 firmware for TX2. Un-zip it, and follow the instructions.

I have downloaded and installed all of Auvidea’s patches (dts and cfg) files, and rebuilt u-boot and the kernel. With the new kernel only one USB 3.0 port works. The bottom one only works as a USB 2.0 port.

Hi,
I’m having problems with the j120 and a TX2 like you, but in my configuration both the ports seem to work as 2.0 ports: every USB3 device I connect to the bottom port is detected as an HighSpeed device and the upper port does not recognize USB3 devices, but only USB2 or lower (looking ‘dmesg’ output).
Without the patch the ports were not working.

This happen by rebuilding the kernel with the provided patch or by applying binaries on a freshly flashed system.

Is there some step to perform that is not reported in the readme file from auvidea?

Thank you!

Hi,
I have the same problem!
I have an Auvidea J120 carrier board and a TX2 module, I follow the Auvidea patch steps but the result is that both the USB ports work with USB2.0 devices, only the bottom USB port works with USB3.0 devices but in high-speed mode (USB2.0) and the top USB port does not work with USB3.0 devices.

What is the problem!? Auvidea support it is not so good.
Someone could detail me steps to apply the USB3.0 patch on Auvidea J120 carrier board?
Someone knows if there are other small carrier board for TX2 module with 2 x WORKING USB3.0 port?!?

Thanks!!!

Auvida told me that due to changes in the TX2 there is only one port that works. I thought the changes effected m.2 and pcie not usb. Can anyone confirm that you can have 2 usb3 ports with the tx2 j120 set-up?

I’m also looking at J120, but concerned with all the issues reported with TX2. Can anyone confirm that they got both USB3 ports working on this board when used with TX2? I filed a support ticket with Auvidea last week, but haven’t heard anything back… cannot believe that board that sells for $258 has so poor support.

-albertr

If Auvidea already says only one port works, then it’s likely only one port works.

It sounds like you are coming to this with mis-matched expectations.
Welcome to the world of industrial research and development!
$258, for a product they may be selling perhaps a hundred copies of, is not bad at all. And I would expect it to not be perfect.

If you try to compare to finished products built for end users to use, made by the hundreds of thousands, of course the prices will seem “steep.” It’s not the chips that cost, it’s the work to develop the boards, and when you can spread that work over a hundred thousand, it’s cheap; when you spread it over a hundred, it’s much more expensive.

If you try to compare to, say, the Arduino ecosystem, then the Arduino is based on 30 year old technology, old-school 5V or 3.3V chips, and very sloppy timing requirements, because it’s such a limited microcontroller. A talented first-year EE student could bang out a working Arduino as a class assignment, so the amount of “development” there is somewhat less than for a board that needs to support gigabit-level differential signalling pairs for busses like PCI-Express, HDMI, USB 3, and MIPI. Similarly, the software stack for an Arduino is a few dozen files; the stack for the Linux kernel is thousands of files, many of which the developers need to learn and understand to properly integrate a new system like this.

Not to start an argument, but how much time and effort it would take to update the manual to list known compatibility issues? Or better yet - set up a wiki page with current technical information and keep it updated?

-albertr

I might be wrong, but IMHO the root of the problem is not only the low production volume, but the lack of competition as well - if you need a small carrier board with M2 key M connector - there’s simply no other choice. I hope that chinese manufacturers are listening and take it as a hint.

-albertr

Hey guys, I am here to provide THE ANOTHER CHOICE, there is a Chinese company producing TX1/TX2 carrier, and can be purchased. I am not sure whether they have English support, but the products is nice.
I drop some hints below, check that if need.

http://www.realtimes.cn/index.html

Email: sales@realtimes.cn