Avionics meerkat Tk1 board and nvidia tools and libraries

I am using the avionics meerkat TK1 board and have installed their L4T version which can be found here: GitHub - avionic-design/linux-l4t: The l4t linux kernel

However, this does not have any of the CUDA tools or the nvidia libraries (I am particularly interested in the gstreamer plugins for H.264 encoding/decoding). The documentation I found seems to be about installing everything through jetpack on a ubuntu system. However, I need to use this custom kernel from Avionics. Is there any way to get the gstreamer and cuda tools on it without having to replace the OS as well. I have been going silly over this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

You can install CUDA toolkit only via Jetpack custom actions.

For gstreamer, here is document for your reference:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/embedded/L4T/r21_Release_v5.0/Docs/L4T_Jetson_TK1_Multimedia_User_Guide.pdf?autho=1491539927_1f644b8a9d28b3af49c6b0c799844a1c&file=L4T_Jetson_TK1_Multimedia_User_Guide.pdf

On our official image, gstreamer can be installed by following command. You can check if it also works on your environment.

$ sudo add-apt-repository universe
$ sudo add-apt-repository multiverse
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install gstreamer-tools gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-plugins-base  gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

Thank you for your answer. Using this GStreamer command will install the nvidia jetson TK1 specific encoder/decoder plugins? out of curiosity, is there any other way to use the HW accelerated encoder/decoder other than gstreamer?

Many thanks again for your support.

Yes, for example, accelerated H.264 decode can be launched with command:

$ gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=<filename.mp4> ! qtdemux name=demux demux.video_00 ! queue ! nv_omx_h264dec ! nv_omx_hdmi_videosink -e

Please find more details in the document.

Another options is to use MMAPI, which with V4L2 for low-level encode/decode.
Sample is also available on JetPack.