Backing up system to flash drive

I am trying to back up my system (TK1) to a flash drive (USB) (low disk space + portability):

sudo nvflash --read APP /media/me/flashdrive/system.img --bl ardbeg/fastboot.bin --go

I get an error:

usb read error (75): Value too large for defined data type
uid read failed

I formatted the flash drive as ext4, hoping this would help. It doesn’t.
Is there a way to back up to flash drive?

It sounds like the flash drive is mounted on the host PC as “/media/me/flashdrive”…is that correct? It sounds like it should work. One thing I’ve noticed is that some of the flash software can be referred to via a relative path and odd things might happen if the clone from the wrong location allows part of the clone to find what it wants, but other parts to fail.

When I clone I use a script. My file system arrangement on the host is:

R21.5/
   /clone/....
   /Linux_for_Tegra/....

My scripts are in the '“clone” subdirectory. You might try this script “clone_rootfs.sh”:

#/bin/bash

version='21-5';
tstamp="$(date '+%a-%d-%b-%Y_%H-%M-%S')";
raw_file="system_${version}_${tstamp}.img.raw";

echo "Raw file at ${raw_file}";

echo "";
echo "EXECUTING: time ../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/nvflash --read APP ${raw_file} --bl ../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/ardbeg/fastboot.bin --go";
time ../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/nvflash --read APP "${raw_file}" --bl ../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/ardbeg/fastboot.bin --go

…just edit the “raw_file=” line if you want to change the file naming or destination. See if this works.

Testing by cloning something smaller can be much faster, here is a script for cloning the partition table (file name “clone_table.sh”):

#/bin/bash

version='21-5';
tstamp="$(date '+%a-%d-%b-%Y_%H-%M-%S')";
table_file="table_${version}_${tstamp}.cfg";

echo "Table file at ${table_file}";

echo "";
echo "EXECUTING: ../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/nvflash --getpartitiontable ${table_file} --bl ../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/ardbeg/fastboot.bin --go";
../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/nvflash --getpartitiontable "${table_file}" --bl ../Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/ardbeg/fastboot.bin --go

Thanks! this is essentially the same as I was doing. It was just failing for no apparent reason. I restarted the TK1 and then the same command succeeded.