Backlight brightness very low when using nvidia-driver-510 or newer. (Ubuntu 22.04)

Thanks Amrits
I’ve done the same. The nvidia-bug-report.sh was run first with the v470 driver which has the backlight on. I then progressively installed newer drivers (fairly easy to do in Gentoo Linux) and booted into them. None of them have the backlight on. The laptop display is too dim to use. I have reverted to the v470 driver.

One interesting thing - when the v525 driver was installed, Gentoo’s portage also installed another package: gui-libs/egl-gbm version 1.1.1 – GBM EGL external platform library – GitHub - NVIDIA/egl-gbm: The GBM EGL external platform library

In reverting to v470, I note gui-libs/egl-gbm is still installed (fyi)

Files attached:
470.239.06_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.5 MB)
525.147.05_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (648.4 KB)
535.171.04_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (664.8 KB)
550.78_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (662.3 KB)

Thanks for sharing the logs, this is under investigation. I’ll share updates from Engineering when available.

1 Like

Hi All,
Is it possible to check if backlight brightness is working on windows setup ?

Hi Amrits,
Yes, brightness control works perfectly under Windows 10 and 11.
Windows boots up at full brightness. Display settings has a slider for adjusting brightness, which also works.
However, even at its LOWEST brightness setting, Windows is still brighter than Ubuntu wiith the Nvidia 525 driver, at HIGHEST brightness setting.