basic electrical Q

Since the TX2 system can handle 5.5 to 19.6 VDC, are the processor clocks tied to input power voltage or is that all handled by the carrier board and the processors see the same input voltage all the time?

I ask because I’m trying to determine if it is safe and/or practical to drive the system via a vehicle’s “12V DC” system or via a drone’s 10.3 to 17 VDC system.

I am concerned whether the varying input voltages will change system wide and affect I/O, processor, wifi, and bluetooth reliability and etc.

Thanks.

Hi Skypuppy, variations in input voltage should only really effect clocking in low-voltage brownout conditions (i.e. bordering on 5.5V). Normally the system would remain independent. The scenarios you mentioned sound ok, but if you notice brownouts you may want a regulator inline. If you are using a mini carrier board, make sure it’s voltage range meets the spec too.

Yes, it should be safe, assuming the carrier board conforms to the requirements set out in the specifications. The clock of the board does not change with voltage difference, as far as I’ve seen.

If the carrier board you’re using isn’t built for automotive electrical connections, you will need to add your own protection in front of it. Note that, in a vehicle, you will want at a minimum a large (5K) TVS with a stand-off voltage of 16V or so, perhaps after a small power resistor (0.1 Ohm?) to make sure you don’t kill the board from load dumps on the electrical bus when switching the starter motor and such.

Another option is to use a wide-input-range DC DC converter, that inputs, say, 10V to 36V, and then outputs 9V at up to 2A. Some transient suppression would still be helpful there, too, if the converter doesn’t already have it.