Battery-Powered Real-Time-Clock for Jetson?

Greetings,

While the onboard clock seems to be accurate enough once set, it must be set from the network at every boot. I can’t find the equivalent of a BIOS-battery on the board, nor anyplace to put one.

I’ve had a few SoC computers, such as the rather good and extremely inexpensive PogoPlug 3, which had excellent functionality all around as general Linux boxes, but which had no battery-powered RTC. This isn’t good unless you’re always going to be on a dependable network with access to NTP servers.

Does anyone know of or care to suggest an RTC with battery that can go on the board as-is? Or can we suggest that NVIDIA may want to address this oversight when they go to market with the final product?

This one connects to i2c bus http://www.dx.com/p/ds3231-high-precision-real-time-clock-module-blue-3-3-5-5v-222910#.U4ZEUCBero4.

What do you mean with “final product” ? Do you have some insight what will come next after Jetson board ?

Thank you for the clock information! Now I need to find a diagram showing exact pin-plug locations on the board. Probably in Technical Specifications manual. The price on the clock is very good, less than I expected to pay.

I don’t have actual insight into ultimate release after Jetson. But as a prototype I can see this with many uses, some in the same class of utility as Raspberry Pi and Arduino combinations, very popular and very flexible. Some other uses, obviously in gaming, media, etc. My own use would be for “home away from home”. For example, install one in a Recreational Vehicle. It can control media for entertainment, power gaming, perhaps interact with GPS for generation of trip information, mapping, etc. With this sort of computational power, this might be perfect for use by Storm Chaser people; download information, combine with field data, generate on-the-fly for meteorological research.

This system is special because it fills a need for strong computing power including parallel processing for parallel jobs or for graphics use, but it also has lots of expansion ability so it is perfect to embed into anything. Overpowered for many jobs in embedded applications, for those Raspberry Pi and Arduino, or comparable SoC and microcontroller/sensor will be applied to low-demand embedded jobs.

You could do a lot of this stuff with a laptop, where a workstation is impractical because of size and major power usage. But if you mostly want it for media control and sensing/computation/microcontroller-instructing, you don’t need the laptop’s display and keyboard and carry case. Really, many of this board’s best capabilities seem aimed at high-end automotive, central system for SUV or RV.