Black screen after install of nvidia driver ubuntu

Please remove
nomodeset
kernel parameter.

Hi

I am also facing a similar issue.

I have lenovo legion laptop and have installed ubuntu 18.04 on the same. I am able to install nvidia-440 drivers for GTX 1650 graphics card, however the laptop screen gets stuck after login with just the cursor showing.
nvidia-bug-report.log (1.1 MB)

Can you please help me with the same?

Hi

In the previous log file, there could be some spurious libraries. I removed nvidia drivers, used auto-remove, auto-clean and reinstalled resulting into the same issue. Hope this file helps to identify the issue better.
nvidia-bug-report.log (1.2 MB)

Please let me know if this can be resolved.

Thanks

Can anyone from @Top_Contributor or anyone else help to resolve this issue? I am not able to use GPU from almost a week, which is the primary reason for purchasing this laptop. I need to run some experiments which without GPU take a huge amount of time. I would be really grateful if someone can look into this.

Thanks

I donā€™t know the reason, but downgrading BIOS version 38 to version 36 makes it work. Hope this helps someone else as well.

Thanks

Hi,

I am facing a similar problem with a Helius Predator 300 RTX 2060. Sometimes the screen just freezes on a black screen. This started happening after I dual booted Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with Windows 10. Now both SOs are facing random black screens.

In Ubuntu I also get a black screen after locking and logging again.

I am using nvidia-driver-440.

The log:nvidia-bug-report.log (257.8 KB)

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks!

I am facing also this issue.
After installing Nvidia driver I get black screen, Linux crushes while loading.

I am using GTX 780.

nvidia-bug-report.log (191.8 KB)

Mr,

Thank you very very much, I was battling for over a week, with 30+ attempts of installing and uninstalling the nvidia drivers and yet did not work.

I was constantly getting stuck in a black screen before being able of booting into Ubuntu.

After following those steps in the recovery mode in the root command line everything went smooth.

Thanks a lot again, your contribution to the community is very valuable,

Cheers

Having a similar issue and not sure whether the same suggestions would be recommended? Running Ubuntu 20.04 in dual boot alongside Windows 10 Pro on a ThinkPad T570 with both Intel and nVidia GeForce 940MX graphics. All was good until 2 days ago. Just prior to that, some updates to Ubuntu and Libre Office installed and I believe also something with nVidia updated (though I donā€™t see it specifically in the history log). I also installed VLC video player and Samba to enable Ubuntuā€™s peer to peer file sharing. All seemed fine but suddenly the system started hanging at the Ubuntu splash screen with the spinning circle. Following a thread that noted conflicts between the nVidia driver and Ubuntu at startup, I edited the grub file to disable the splash screen (changed quiet splash to quiet nosplash). The system starts fine with that change though, of course, the Ubuntu logo is gone and the script messages are displayed during startup and shutdown.

Is this a known issue, and will a fix be coming?

Thanks,
Tim

1 Like

Hello everyone, I have an issue that falls into this case I guess. I have a Lenovo Legion 7i with 2070 MaxQ, dual boot Win10 + Ubuntu 20.04. I updated the nvidia drivers using Ubuntuā€™s updater and I ended up with a black screen but only when I donā€™t have the second screen attached. Using logic I suspect that the fact I upgraded while the second screen was attached (HDMI) is part of the problem. In fact, if I boot with the second screen attached, the laptopā€™s builtin display shows up, if I reboot without the second screen attached, the laptopā€™s builtin display is black.
This seems very much like @dmitry.zhelezniakov 's issue. I tried nomodeset and it didnā€™t work. I also tried, as @generix suggests, grep nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*, which seems to have worked for @dmitry.zhelezniakov, but thereā€™s no files containing options nvidia-drm modeset=1. The only file listed as a result of the grep is
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf:blacklist nvidiafb

One further test I did was to disable the noveau module like so:
printf "blacklist nouveau \noptions nouveau modeset=0 \n" | sudo tee --append /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf
ā€¦as suggested here here. Same result.

My current drivers are Linux-x86_64 / 450.80.02 and my current kernel is 5.4.0-53-generic

Where do I go from here?
Thanks

ps: bug report file attached

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (304.6 KB)

1 Like

While this is a corner case rather than a solution, the issue I described above stopped when Iā€¦

1. Unplugged the second screen
  2. Upgraded to version 455 via Ubuntuā€™s Software & Updates / Additional Drivers.

The builtin screen now shows up when the second screen in unplugged.
So, likely, even re-installing nvidia drivers with NO external screens plugged in, would work.

I am having the same problem hereā€¦ Please helpnvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.6 MB)

Black screen AGAIN after ugrade to 460. Are you even trying NVidia, to support Ubuntu PROPERLY??? Every update is a jump into the dark, literally. Thank quack we have Time Shift to roll back to a previous restore point. What is causing this issue? Why does the screen turn on ONLY if I connect a second screen? Can you fix this please?

3 Likes

allconfig.txt (6.0 KB)
Please help meļ¼@generix
my current kernel is 5.4.0-62-generic.
my current drivers are Linux-x86_64 / nvidia-460.27.04
my gpu is RTX2080TI
and gdm.log is empty
my error is :
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Hello i have the same problem nvidia-smi is working but my other screen attached to nvidia gpu stays off.
nvidia-bug-report.log (600.3 KB)
help me please @generix
I am working on kali linux

Please run

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource NVIDIA-G0 modesetting && xrandr --auto

to use the nvidia as output sink. You can then run applications on it using render offload:
https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/460.32.03/README/primerenderoffload.html
https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/460.32.03/README/randr14.html
Otherwise, youā€™ll have to configure Prime output:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/official-driver-384-59-with-geforce-1050m-doesnt-work-on-opensuse-tumbleweed-kde/52620/2?u=generix

I upgraded to 4.60 on Ubuntu 20.04, which resulted again in black screen on Lenovo Legion 7i. The screen turns on only when I connect a second screen. This happened before with other versions of nvidia drivers.
Bug report file attached.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (305.8 KB)

There seems to be a compatibility problem with that notebook model:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/black-screen-after-installing-nvidia-460-driver-on-legion-7i-laptop-geforce-rtx-2070-with-max-q/166584/17
Which driver version was working before?

1 Like

Sorry I canā€™t be more precise but I think it was 440.