Black screen and very long startup on fedora 35 with GTX 1070m

Hi, I have an asus GL502VS laptop that has a GTX 1070m and kde. I have installed the latest nvidia driver and the startup time is very long displaying a black screen. After 1m30 the connection window appears.

What is the problem?

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (322.5 KB)

What’s visible in the logs, its doing nothing for 90 seconds. This makes me suspect systemd is trying to start some daemon, it doesn’t work so it times out. This would only be visible in the journal, which is not included in nvidia-bug-report.log.
Please check your journal
sudo journalctl -b0
for what’s hanging.

I attach the result of the command.
There are errors like : “nvidia : module verification failed : signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel”

“nvidia: Process ‘/usr/bin/bash -c ‘/usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255’’ failed with exit code 1”

“nvidia: Process '/usr/bin/bash -c ‘for i in $(cat /proc/driver/nvidia/gpus/*/information | grep Minor | cut -d \ -f 4); do /usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidia${i} c 195 ${i}; done’” failed with exit code 1."

“/usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[932]: No matching GPU found”
“/usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[932]: Failed to initialize RM Client”

“nvidia-powerd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE”
“April 11 21:29:27 fedora systemd[1]: nvidia-powerd.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
april 11 21:29:27 fedora audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=nvidia-powerd comm=“systemd” exe=”/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=failed’"

For your information, if I change the “acpi_backlight=native” parameter to “acpi_backlight=vendor” in the grub the logon window is displayed quickly.
As a result, the brightness control does not work anymore.

journal.txt (749.4 KB)

As you already noticed, it’s the backlight, or at least systemd trying to restore the level on boot:

systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.

For a workaround, you could disable that unit.

1 Like

Indeed you were right.
I have hidden the backlight service with the command:
sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@backlight:nvidia_0.service

Now fedora starts fast and I can access the logon window quickly.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.