Blank screen after installing nvidia-340.108 on Ubuntu 20.04 (elementary os 6.1) for Dell Latitude E6510 / NVS 3100M

Hi,

I’m struggling to properly install the driver for NVS 3100M (Dell E6510) on Linux. I’ve tried multiple Ubuntu versions (18.04, 22.04) without success,
and now I’m on Ubuntu 20.04 with ElementaryOS 6.1.

After performing the driver installation on the fresh OS-installation and rebooting the system, the screen remains blank - the login screen or even a character-based terminal / logs won’t show up. The system can be accessed only remotely via SSH.

Please see the performed installation steps and the outputs attached.
nvidia-340-install-steps-elementary-os.txt (24.8 KB)

Could you please advise what are the proper steps to set up the driver?

Thank you so much for your help in advance,
Arpad

… uploading the nvidia bug-report logs too:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (59.6 KB)

The 340 driver is long out of support and doesn’t compile on newer kernels. During install, dkms complained about no kernel headers being installed.
You should rather return to the 5.4 GA kernel
sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic
and then make sure the headers are installed
sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Maybe the driver compiles against kernel 5.4.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick help!

I managed to compile the 5.4 kernel as proposed, however after reboot still the newer kernel got stuck. Therefore I’ve downloaded and installed the Ubuntu 20.04**.1** version, which comes with 5.4.0-42-generic kernel.

Proceeding the installation with sudo apt install nvidia-340 and a reboot afterwards has successfully activated the nvidia driver!

Thanks for the support!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.