Blank screen when switching to multi-user.target on TX2NX

Hello!

Whenever I’m switching to multi-user.target instead of graphical mode, my Jetson TX2NX just has a blank screen - no console, nothing.

Note that I have disabled the boot console from UART - but I have to keep it disabled because I have other stuff on all hardware UARTs. Is it because UART is needed for showing something on multi-user.target screen?

The UART should not matter for mutli-user.target. I’m not sure multi-user.target always works as expected, but for someone to support this you’d need to include your L4T release version ("head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release"), along with some logs.

Do you have ssh access? If so, then this can be used for logs even when console and GUI fail. Hopefully the issue does not change ssh, and you could log in remotely and run “dmesg --follow”. Then show only the log messages which occur from the attempt to to switch to multi-user.target.

Additionally, include the Xorg log. If you are in the GUI and run “echo $DISPLAY”, then most likely it will show “:0”, but might show “:1”. Assuming it is “:0”, then once the switch to multi-user.target has been attempted, save a copy of “/var/log/Xorg.0.log” (from the remote PC you could “scp <your login name>@<the Jetson address> /var/log/Xorg.0.log .” to copy the log to the PC’s current directory).

If you have no means to gather logs, then it becomes difficult for anyone to guess.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.