Blue screen of death with drivers 180.48 and later

Okay, this isn’t strictly CUDA related since it happens on startup with the normal release drivers. However, as a CUDA developer I can’t find an obviously more appropriate way of reporting it.

I am using a pair of GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB (not the GTX+) and Windows XP Pro 64-bit. Everything is fine with the 175.16 and 178.24 drivers but I get a blue screen of death on startup with the 180.48 and 182.50 drivers and also the 185.68 beta drivers. The problem only happens when both cards are installed. If I remove either one then the problem goes away. In fact I have a total of three cards that I’ve tried in two PCs in various combinations. On the other hand, a pair of GeForce 9800 GX2 cards works fine with any of these drivers.

Actually, that’s not 100% accurate. They look like the 9800 GTX (and I’m guessing they are 65nm rather than 55nm) but I think they are actually claiming to be the 9800 GTX+. They are from XFX and it looks like a lot of people are having problems with them. Some people are suggesting a BIOS flash might be in order. Does anyone else have any information?