Bootfile missing, Jetson TX2 stuck on nvidia logo boot screen

I am currently dealing with the Jetson TX2 not booting after I believe was an improper disconnect from the power source. I have connected to the Jetson via serial device and this was the output:

… TIMEOUT !
ERROR: phy_startup() failed: -110
at /dvs/git/dirty/git-master_linux/3rdparty/u-boot/drivers/net/dwc_eth_qos.c:894 /eqos_start()
ERROR: FAILED: -110
at /dvs/git/dirty/git-master_linux/3rdparty/u-boot/drivers/net/dwc_eth_qos.c:112 2/eqos_start()
missing environment variable: bootfile
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000
ethernet@2490000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete… TIMEOUT !
at /dvs/git/dirty/git-master_linux/3rdparty/u-boot/drivers/net/dwc_eth_qos.c:894/eqos_start()
at /dvs/git/dirty/git-master_linux/3rdparty/u-boot/drivers/net/dwc_eth_qos.c:1122/eqos_start(
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0000
at /dvs/git/dirty/git-master_linux/3rdparty/u-boot/drivers/net/dwc_eth_qos.c:894/eqos_start()

I believe the main issue is the missing environment variable: bootfile. I don’t know if there is an exact file I need for this board? Where would I place it? What is the file that I need? I have looked in the Jetson Topics but I haven’t found any cases that best this situation. The Jetson TX2 does have a 64 GB SD Card attached including a SATA SSD. I have a done a disk check of the SSD and the files are visible on another ubuntu computer but when I plug it into the Jetson, it wont boot either way.

By far the best thing to do next is geta serial console boot log (if the above is from serial console, then I will rephrase as “a complete serial console boot log”).

A comment which might be of interest, but not particularly useful in actual debugging, is that if you know the rootfs was being written to at the moment of power down, then it is likely software on the rootfs partition which could possibly be repaired after cloning, and then reinstalling the repaired rootfs. Or simply extracting just the more valuable content for re-flash. If it turns out to be a non-rootfs partition (which does not normally get written to), then there may be some actual eMMC (or related) hardware damage. The full boot log might provide evidence one way or the other.

Hi,
You should paste the full boot-up log instead of this part only.
But I can still tell something from current log.

This log is from uboot which tries to search the kernel image through the ethernet.

If you are not intending to boot kernel from ethernet, then it is probably something wrong in your emmc so that uboot just follows the boot order and fallbacks to etherent.

The full log can help us see more detail.

I have the full boot-up log updated here:

… TIMEOUT !
at /dvs/git/dirty/git-master_linux/3rdparty/u-boot/drivers/net/dwc_eth_qos.c:1122/eqos_start()
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/000
at /dvs/git/dirty/git-master_linux/3rdparty/u-boot/drivers/net/dwc_eth_qos.c:1122/eqos_start()
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-tegra186
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default
Config file not found
starting USB…
No controllers found
Tegra186 (P2771-0000-500) #

I’m new to setting up/flashing the Jetson TX2 since it was setup by someone before me, so these terms are new to me. For @linuxdev, what steps would I need to look into if the rootfs partition needs to be repaired? I have the valuable data from my lab’s research on the project and backed it up, but flashing the device is the last step we are taking if nothing else works. For @WayneWWW, I have the full boot log uploaded here and I’m sure the device shouldn’t boot the kernel from the ethernet.

Hi,

Based on my experience of many boot logs, I don’t think this is the full log…
There is obviously something else before the first “…Timeout” in your log.

Though I don’t see your full log yet, I would like to suggest you to reflash your board first if you have no idea what other people had done to this device.

That appears to be only a tiny part of the boot log, and so it is hard to say. If you have a boot log in the form of a file, then it beats copy and paste since the forum will limit what you paste. Serial console information is here:
http://www.jetsonhacks.com/2017/03/24/serial-console-nvidia-jetson-tx2/

The amount of log shown is well into the error, and does not show what led up to the error. A serial console log could be made on your host PC, given a “.txt” file name suffix, and then attached.

All that can be said about the given log is that it is a lot of repeating ethernet connector problems (the PHY). You might try booting without the ethernet cable and see if anything changes.