Brand new Jetson AGX Xavier doesn't boot

We don’t have a out-of-factory device unfortunately. IMO, such error should not be happened to a fresh device only.

Actually, I am not sure what is the exact error you’ve met. Only see you mentioned “a start job is running for End-User configuration after initial OEM installation” in comment#1.

In normal boot up process, GUI should show up on monitor and ask you to setup the user account. If it doesn’t happen, it probably means the gdm fails to initiate somehow and I don’t think gdm is related to network cable.

But it is still a good point that we didn’t notice. Maybe next time when someone else hits this issue, we can ask him not to plug network cable and try.

Honestly, such issue so far is like a random case and somehow only to specific users so we are not able to investigate the root cause yet. Users always bypass this by another re-flash or just skip the configuration by oem-config.

Wayne,

If you’ve never seen that error (“a start job is running for End-User configuration after initial OEM installation”) then you do not know what I’m talking about and should get acquainted with the programmers about it.

I think that’s because the device detects a viable Internet connection and because of such, requires the user account to be valid (proper name & password). Unfortunately, the error message is not clear about the issue and you don’t even know about it…

As Dane mentioned, though, it looks like that is something new you’ll have to deal with a lot in the next few years. Thanks to California. It’s not a bad thing in itself, but a warning in the box saying: DO NOT CONNECT THE NETWORK CABLE until you setup your account (by booting once without the network) would be a good solution.

Now maybe you could ask your company to send you a brand new such device and you can try starting it while connected to the Internet and see that you do get that error. I’d bet that you will.

f you’ve never seen that error (“a start job is running for End-User configuration after initial OEM installation”) then you do not know what I’m talking about and should get acquainted with the programmers about it.

Actually I saw this before but also from other forum users’ posts. I guess maybe brand new device is a hint since we didn’t consider it before. We will check. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi alexiswilke,

I just checked with some other engineers and they don’t see such issue before.

Could you help us clarify more detail about this issue.

1. Did you keep the full error log?

2. Are you still able to reproduce this issue? For example, connecting the USB cable and it will come again…?

3. In your first comment, did you ever flash the board before? or it is just totally a out-of-box device and you just connected the power cable and turned it on?

The message says “a start job is running for End-User configuration after initial OEM installation”. The message also clearly says that it’s going to be stuck forever.

1. Does below “second device” also go through the flash?

I’d like to further mention that with the other two devices I have, the problem did not occur

Wouldn’t flashing delete those files?

Just in case I tried a grep on the /var folder and got nothing.

1. Are you still able to reproduce this issue? For example, connecting the USB cable and it will come again…?

So far so good. All the devices have been booting right up since I flashed that one.

1. In your first comment, did you ever flash the board before? or it is just totally a out-of-box device and you just connected the power cable and turned it on?

It was directly out of the box. However, I had the power, a USB hub to get a mouse & keyboard connected, the HMDI, and the RJ45.

1. Does below “second device” also go through the flash?

The 2nd and 3rd devices did not go through the flash process.

However, for the 2nd I connected the power, the USB hub (keyboard/mouse), the HDMI, and the USB-C to my main computer. NO RJ45

And the 3rd device, I connected only the power, the USB hub (keyboard/mouse), and the HDMI. The USB-C did not seem to do anything with the previous attempt so I did not use it on the 3rd and the card booted up just fine.

Wouldn’t flashing delete those files?

The log we want is the one from serial console log. When we hit any problem, we will keep one in our side. It is fine if we don’t have one. We just asked.

It was directly out of the box. However, I had the power, a USB hub to get a mouse & keyboard connected, the HMDI, and the RJ45.

That’s unexpected. Actually, we don’t suggest to use the out-of-box devices directly. They should all go under the flash process at least once. This is to prevent anything wrong in factory.

Anyway, since there is no log now, we cannot do much help here but only try to see if similar issue happens on our side too.