Bug: CUDA 5.5, Windows Server 2012, .NET 3.5 SP1 not detected

Hi!

The setup incorrectly fails to detect my .NET 3.5 SP1 installation.

I’ve installed it using the official method as documented by Microsoft:

When I click the feature description in my Server Manager, it points to the following link:
“What’s New in the .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1”

Furthermore, verifying the installation as described here – installation - How do I tell if .NET 3.5 SP1 is installed? - Stack Overflow – I can also see I have the following version present and installed (among others):
3.5.30729.4926 (with SP key equal to 1).

Still, despite all that, the setup fails to install the pertinent components claiming that it cannot find .NET 3.5 SP1:

Not Installed:
     - Nsight Monitor and HUD Launcher
       Reason: .NET 3.5 SP1 was not found

On a side note, this information is only shown after the setup is “complete”, instead of running the detection beforehand, which isn’t really nice from the UX POV.

Any suggestions?

All components of CUDA 5.5 production can be installed successfully on my clean windows server 2012 system.You can try to uninstall all components of cuda 5.5,then install again(not just overwrite install),see the problem will be gone or not.

Thanks for your reply.

I have uninstalled CUDA Toolkit 5.5 from the Add/Remove Programs component, and have subsequently reinstalled it. The exact same bug happens, the setup fails to detect .NET 3.5 SP1, even though it is definitely present.

Any further suggestions / workarounds?

The following steps should solve the Nsight issue.

1. Verify the following regkey is present.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5

It should contain a REG_DWORD entry called “SP”. The value should be “0x00000001 (1)”. If it’s not present, .NET 3.5 SP1 is not installed properly.

1. Uninstall Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.1 directly from Add/Remove Programs
  2. Uninstall CUDA Toolkit 5.5 from Add/Remove Programs
  3. Re-install CUDA Toolkit 5.5

That should solve your issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience. The reason why Nsight is not updated after uninstalling CUDA Toolkit is due to Nsight being a separate product. The CUDA 5.5 install runs the Nsight installer silently and will only update the full product if the versioning is different. I recommend signing up for the Nsight Visual Studio Edition Registered Developer Program to obtain the standalone Nsight package. Sign up for free here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-nsight-visual-studio-edition-registered-developer-program

Thanks, Eric, this time it worked! :-)

In particular, step #2 (separately uninstalling Nsight) was the missing link :-)