[BUG] Heavy shadertoy demos slow down the X.org server and make the system unresponsive

Hi birdie,

Please help to confirm if you observed similar issue as per my earlier comments.

Hi birdie,

I am still awaiting for confirmation on my test results.
Please help to confirm if you observed similar issue as per my earlier comments.

Hi birdie,

Hi birdie,

I’m sorry but I’m still capable of reproducing this issue under these circumstances:

1. Install Fedora 31 with the XFCE desktop
  2. Install NVIDIA drivers 440.44 from nvidia.com
  3. Use the supplied nvidia.conf - you have to unzip it first (place it into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf)
  4. Open the demo
  5. Do not do anything - just wait

At this point:

• mouse becomes jerky/laggy and it's near impossible to move
  • the X.org session becomes impossible to use because applications take forever to render or switch from/to
[99-nvidia.zip|attachment](upload://l7I5txQbaINdRBohLMyu6bpo71p.zip) (475 Bytes)

I now have the GTX 1660 Ti and the issue persists except my X.org conf has changed:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    BusID       "PCI:7:0:0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName  "NVIDIA"
    BoardName   "NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti] (rev a1)"
    Option      "Coolbits" "28"
    Option      "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
    Option      "UseEDIDFreqs" "Off"
    Option      "UseNvKmsCompositionPipeline" "Off"
EndSection

and

cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="RMUseSwI2c=1; OverrideMaxPerf=0x1"

I have fully updated Fedora 32 + XFCE without compositing.

I’ve found an even worse demo: Power 2 Mandelbulb

It makes the whole PC slow to a crawl.

The last demo actually makes the system unresponsive even without any special power saving settings.

I can experienced the same issue (too slow and difficult to move mouse cursor ) on fedora 32 + Quadro RTX 8000 + Driver 450.66 with same xorg.conf file as you mentioned in comment #25.

However I tried the same demo on Intel GPU and experience the same behavior.
Looks like it is the problem with demo itself.

I have a laptop with an Intel iGPU and though the last demo is definitely heavy on resources it doesn’t stall the X.org server like it’s happening with NVIDIA drivers. With the Intel iGPU the system remains responsive.

Drivers 455.28 work much better but not perfectly yet.

Found yet another shader toy which slows down X.org to a crawl:

And here’s another one:

I wonder how Wayland fares.