Build a GTX260+C870 machine...?

I’ve just got a C870 card so I am now applying for building a test environment.
(not too much budget so i have to diy)

I intend to use:
Intel E8400(or its E8XXX brothers)
P45 motherboard
and a GTX260 display card.

So…
1.Any suggestion about the detailed configuration?
2.The Intel P45 chips and Nvidia 780 chips motherboard, which is better?

Thanks you guys!

Intel chipsets consistently get better host->device and device->host memory transfer speeds (~6 GiB/s vs ~4 GiB/s), but that is with PCIe gen2 devices. Since the Tesla C870 is only PCIe gen1, there wont be any performance differences. But you will see a difference in transferring to the GTX 260.

I’m not aware of any other performance differences related to CUDA. If cost is an issue, the 780 chipset might be cheaper: it uses very inexpensive DDR2 memory. I haven’t kept up on all the intel chipsets, but most are now using the very expensive DDR3 memory.

If you have a small budget, why’d you get a tesla? Funny thing is that the 260 will be faster than it. For a display card, you can get something cheap or use onboard graphics. (If you put a c870 and a 260 in the same case, be sure to get a BIG power supply.)

Because if you need more than a gig of memory, you buy a Tesla (or a Quadro, but that’s even more money)? Also, you could probably get away with a 750w power supply if you’re going to be using a 45nm Core 2.

I’d use the 780i, just because 16GB of DDR2 is $500, and 8GB (4x2GB) is less than $200. Right now, the 780i doesn’t actually support 16GB, but apparently there’s a new BIOS coming out very soon that adds support for it. Something to keep in mind!