Build setup without warnings from nvcc on Windows 10/VS2015/CUDA8-9

Hi,

I have a question regarding my build setup, I’m currently working on Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 and use CUDA 9 in both cases, Visual Studio 2015 on Windows and gcc-5 on Linux.
The project setup in both cases is done using cmake and I have the following problem.
On Linux, a complete rebuild takes about 1:30min, just building after changing a kernel takes a few seconds.
On Windows on the other hand, a rebuild takes more than 4 min and building after a kernel takes more than a minute, if not more.

Also, on Linux I only get compiler console output specific to my application, but on Windows I get thousands of warnings aimed at stuff in the cuda libraries, like

c:\program files\nvidia gpu computing toolkit\cuda\v9.0\include\sm_20_intrinsics.h(1490): warning C4514: ‘syncthreads_or’: unreferenced inline function has been removed

1>c:\program files\nvidia gpu computing toolkit\cuda\v9.0\include\sm_60_atomic_functions.h(394): warning C4514: ‘atomicMin_system’: unreferenced inline function has been removed

c:\program files\nvidia gpu computing toolkit\cuda\v9.0\include\thrust\system\cuda\detail\cub\device\dispatch../…/agent/agent_radix_sort_downsweep.cuh(39): warning C4464: relative include path contains ‘…’

to name a few.
Thousands of these warnings.

I guess that I did something wrong with my configuration on Windows and that the extra long build times are linked to these warnings, but I only have found the option to limit the warnings generated by the C++ compiler in Visual Studio, but haven’t found the option for nvcc.

Anyone knows what I can do here? Thanks very much in advance! :)

Hi, winter.martin

This is not Nsight issue but seems nvcc build performance related.
Suggest you can move the topic to https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/board/57/cuda-programming-and-performance/

Hi,

yeah, that’s true, misread the forum title.
Thanks, I created this post in the other forum now!

BR,
Martin