Building Openmpi 1.2

I’m trying to build openmpi (1.2.2 or 1.2.3) with the PGI version 7.0-6 compiler and have an fpic issue.
I noticed this has been discussed in another message:

However, there appears to be no answer or further help in getting this to work.

I have configured openmpi with the following flags:

./configure CC=pgcc CXX=pgCC F77=pgf77 FC=pgf90 --prefix=/usr/local/openmpi_pgi

when I run the make command, it proceeeds through until I get the fpic error:

/usr/bin/ld: class/.libs/opal_free_list.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against `__pgio_ini’ can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

I am unsure as how to proceed, I’ve looked at the build output and opal_free_list.o was compiled with -fpic:

/bin/sh …/libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile pgcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I…/opal/include -I…/orte/include -I…/ompi/include -I…/ompi/include -I… -O -DNDEBUG -c -o class/opal_free_list.lo class/opal_free_list.c
libtool: compile: pgcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I…/opal/include -I…/orte/include -I…/ompi/include -I…/ompi/include -I… -O -DNDEBUG -c class/opal_free_list.c > -fpic > -DPIC -o class/.libs/opal_free_list.o

I don’t have these problems when building openmpi with gcc 4.1.2

Hi Craig,

We had another user with a similar problem, see HERE, but unfortunately, we were never able to get to the bottom of it. Also, OpenMPI links fine here so again we’re at a bit of a loss.

In searching the web, I came across a similar problem (See HERE) where the issue was with the binutils installed on the system. What OS are you using and what binutils are installed? ('ld --version")

Thanks,
Mat

Mat,

I’ll take a look at the two articles you mentioned in detail tomorrow at work.
For now I’ll answer the questions I can. Hope that it will provide more information.

I’m using Debian Etch on an Opteron. I have the AMD64 version of Etch installed, that is x86_64.

ld --version
GNU ld version 2.17 Debian GNU/Linux

You say OpenMPI links there, can I ask what version (of OpenMPI) you are using, and what the configuration settings were you used.
Also which distro and ld version do you have?

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info. I’ve asked our IT department to load a system with Debian Etch so hopefully, i can determine what the issue is. In may take them a bit, however. In the meantime, please let us know if you come-up with something.

Thanks,
Mat

Hi Craig,

We were able finally reproduce the problem and found a solution. The fix will be available in PGI 7.0-7 currently scheduled for release on August 2th, 2007.

• Mat

Mat,

Thanks for the update. I’ll download the new version when it is available and give that a try.

Craig.