C870 in a regular PC

Does the C870 work with CUDA on a regular PC. I have a standard PC with an1 AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor (2.41GHz) and Windows XP.
Or is the C870 just thought for workstations?

As long as you have enough space in the case and another card to drive the display C870 will work fine in a PC.

Paulius

Yup, Paulius is right - look for a PCI-Express X16 slot. There’s also the possible issue of the power supply being too weak, but power supplies aren’t expensive.

Is it a brand-name computer or a custom built one? What sort? Someone here can probably give you a pretty certain yes/no answer.

This one is quite custom but it does not have PCI Express X16 so I will have to get a new one (well, my employer will have to). Any suggestion of a standard PC to use with the C870?

Probably something gaming-oriented - the power supply and PCI_E slots etc. are pretty similar for a machine intended for CUDA and a gaming “rig”.

I don’t know, but check out the guides at Anandtech, the budget- to mid-level ones. It’ll probably be a nice indicator of where the sweet spot of price/performance is these days. I think some chipsets are better for PCI-E performance than others, and I suspect NVidia chipsets are a safe bet. I’d read up on that, including doing a quick forum search here, if you’re really looking to optimize and have a few hours to throw away :)

Edit: Just to add, the cheapest way to go is probably a new motherboard, and possibly a new power supply. $150-$300 should be possible if you’re lucky.

If you want to use the Tesla running WindowsXP please note that you need another NVIDIA graphics device that uses the same driver as the Tesla. A list of cheap and space-saving (in terms of PCIe slots) cards can be found in this thread: [url=“http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=57265”]The Official NVIDIA Forums | NVIDIA

Hi, sorry for intruding, im a newbe on the HPC area and just over google in search for some Grafikkards that would be good to play demanding multithreaded 3d games like Crysis (Buy Crysis – PC – EA)

My current setup is

Board: Asus L1N64-SLI WS
2x AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 (2x2 Core = Quadcore) @ 3GHZ
4GB DDR2 PC6400 800 MHZ
1x Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
1x Sata 1TB Harddrive

My Board Supports Multi CPU (2) and has a lot of free PCIe 16x slots
I usually get a threaslod of 33 Frames in the game Crysis

Would a Tesla C870 bring an increase in perfomance in Games?
Im looking for a possibility to increase my Framerate during gameplay.

THX

You would be better off buying another 8800 GTX. It has the same GPU as the Tesla C870, costs less, and is designed for use in an SLI configuration.

No, it won’t.