CAD Workstation help me understand

Can anyone help me summarize why I would spend the money on a Quadro video card versus picking up a solid gaming video card for less money to run a CAD workstation?

I ask this because I truly do not understand and I am hoping someone can help me understand and convince me that Quadro is better for CAD work.

Can anyone help me summarize why I would spend the money on a Quadro video card versus picking up a solid gaming video card for less money to run a CAD workstation?

I ask this because I truly do not understand and I am hoping someone can help me understand and convince me that Quadro is better for CAD work.

The drivers.

Basically the quadro drivers allow for way (I’m talking here an order of magnitude) better performance on some OpenGL commands which are haevily used in soem CAD programs.

While the chip on quadro and the corresponding geforce cards is the same, these OpenGL things are only available on the quadro driver which you can not use with GeForce models.

The question is only whether your software does actually use these features, and whether a top line GeForce is anyway better than a medium or small quadro.

Cheers

Ceearem

The drivers.

Basically the quadro drivers allow for way (I’m talking here an order of magnitude) better performance on some OpenGL commands which are haevily used in soem CAD programs.

While the chip on quadro and the corresponding geforce cards is the same, these OpenGL things are only available on the quadro driver which you can not use with GeForce models.

The question is only whether your software does actually use these features, and whether a top line GeForce is anyway better than a medium or small quadro.

Cheers

Ceearem

so in our office we use AutoCAD and Microstation only. The majority of work is done in 2D with very minimal work in 3D.

so in our office we use AutoCAD and Microstation only. The majority of work is done in 2D with very minimal work in 3D.