Calculation of Form Factors

I’ve built a scene in VRML which I’ve loaded into the SceniX Sample Viewer. Can I use Optix to calculate the form factor normally used to calculate radiosity/Global Illumination?

My idea is that if I set the emission property of the material of a single object to 1 (perfect lambertian emitter) and remove all light sources then the radiosity texture would be a calculation of the form factor from the emmiting object.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? I’ve managed to do this in POVRAY before but would now like to take advantage of the TESLA card I’ve got installed on the PC I’m using…

Thanks in Advance…

If you are really simply trying to compute Form Factors in parallel using a GPU, I might recommend just writing a CUDA program. OptiX is designed for ray tracing and so it has shaders used for things like intersections, closest hit and any hit of rays etcetera. While you could hack an OptiX program together to compute form factors, computing form factors is generally considered an ‘embarassingly parallel’ task. As such, I would an imagine a fairly simple CUDA program could solve your problem more simply.