CAN bus RX buffer overflow / skipped CAN messages

We are experience issues indicating a buffer overflow, resulting in missing CAN messages. This is tested with a USB Peak CAN device (PCAN-USB-FD).

Moving the CAN interrupts to another CPU, as described in this post, does help but still, there are some skipping messages.

(using Jetpack 4.6)

So, is it possible to increase the RX-buffer?

Any ideas on that topic?

Please check if can gain some ideas from CAN Transceivers on Jetson AGX Xavier - Jetson & Embedded Systems / Jetson AGX Xavier - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Is there any specific error message to share?

After executing the command:

ip -details -statistics link show can1

the RX overruns are > 0 ( in fact after running a can-application sending can-messages to the can-port can1 for a few minutes

So is there a way to configure the RX-buffer?

Could you also try rel-32.7.1?

Is this still an issue to support? Any result can be shared? Thanks

At this moment we did no try rel-32-7-1 yet.

Another test we made (resulting in the same errors) was to send messages from an external CAN USB adapter to can0. Still there are some overruns after a half an hour or so. Is there a way to debug the root cause of this?

One guesswork was that the errors does occure with a high CPU load, but the error is just occuring sooner as the CPU is stressed.

Hi Kayccc

In the absence of my colleague, i will take over this topic.

We cannot test rel-32.7.1, as our customer is using JetPack 4.6. Were there any improvements made that we should know about?
Can we increase the RX Buffer size or improve the speed of reading of the buffer in any other way than changing the interrupt to another cpu?
Thank you.

Kind regards

Hi NVidia Team

Can you provide any guidance how we can solve this issue?
Thank you.

Kind regards

Sorry for the late response, just want to confirm if this issue has been resolved, or I need to push team to give the suggestons. Thanks

Hi kayccc

This issue is still there, so thank you for pushing it internally.

Kind regards

Hi NVidia Team

Any news on the topic?

Dear NVidia

Just to clarify, we see dropped packages on the internal CAN devices (mttcan). The mentioned PCAN-USB-FD device is the counterpart and connected to another system. It seems like the AGX Xavier can not read the messages fast enough.
Sorry if this was not so clear.