Can I send serial message visa usb to usb from jetson orin to windows?

I want to try out serial communication. I currently have a jetson orin carrier board. I will later connect it to other companion devices whcih i would like to have serial communication with. But to start off, i want to know if i can do serial communication with only using usb to usb connection? Sorry if it might be a very basic question because I am new to Jetsons and any hardware related stuff.

Hi sadiac,

Are you using the devkit or custom board for Orin NX?
What’s your Jetpack version in use?

Do you mean that you want to access the serial console from host PC?
If so, you could refer to the following instruction.
Jetson Nano & NX Style - Serial Debug Console - JetsonHacks

I also am not sure about what you want to do, but if you mean simply by using an ordinary USB cable, then the answer is “no, it isn’t that simple”. Probably the closest you could get to that is if you have a USB serial UART cable at each end, and one end’s TX crosses over to the other end’s RX (similar that if you use flow control, then the CTS crosses over to RTS). Both ends would have to be blindly set to the same setup. From the Jetson end you could then read and write to the device special file as if it were an ordinary file. I have not done this on Windows, but in theory, it is something similar (a serial console program like PuTTY does exactly this).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.