Cannot boot Ubuntu 18.04 with NVidia drivers

I have a system with an RTX 3070, Ubuntu 18.04 installed on it. Kernel is 4.15.0-175-generic

Whenever I install NVidia Drivers, the system doesn’t (fully) boot anymore - I don’t get to a login screen but the messages at startup don’t suggest any errors as far as I can see.
If I purge the NVidia driver and use nouveau, it works fine though.

With the boot problem, the screen hangs with status messages, the screen flickers for some reason (although that stops after 10-15 minutes or so). I can theoretically get into tty, but with the screen flickering it always switches back to the boot log, so I cannot really do anything there. I can however ssh into it and use the system that way.

FWIW, I could get Ubuntu 18.04 working on another PC with Kernel Version 4.15-0-173 and an RTX 3070 without any problems (though I do not know which manufacturer the individual cards are from).

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (3.9 MB)
dmesg.log (76.5 KB)

Any help would be appreciated.

The driver is working, Xorg is starting fine and then gracefully stops to start again. So I guess gnome-shell is crashing for some reason which is only visible in journal
sudo journalctl -b0

Thanks for the quick answer.

journalctl.log (16.9 MB)

Gnome fails to create a GL context

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
   Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
   Value in failed request:  0x0
   Serial number of failed request:  32
   Current serial number in output stream:  33

Please post the output of
ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/*nvidia*

ls.log (7.2 KB)

Looks fine. Maybe some permissions problem, please post the output of
ls -l /dev/nvid*

lsnvid.log (468 Bytes)

Looks like you installed virtualgl, please make sure the user “gdm” is in the “vglusers” group.
groups gdm

Yeah, gdm was not in that group. I added it and now it works. Thank you very much!

Just out of curiosity, if you have the time: How did the ls -l /dev/nvid* output help you finding that issue? I had a look at what little it outputs but I can’t see the connection

I find it rather obvious. Every user that wants to render on the nvidia gpu needs to have rw access to its device nodes. In your case, due to installing virtualgl this was limited to root and the vglusers group. Gnome’s DM, GDM runs as user gdm so this has to be added to the vglusers group.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.