Cannot build CUDA samples in Visual Studio 2012 Cuda 5.5

Hello,

I downloaded the CUDA installation pack and the installation went alright I think. But the CUDA getting started guide says check if samples are working. I have never used Visual Studio before. I got it just so I could start learning how to use CUDA. I opened the VS project file and then clicked on build and it gave me an error. I have posted the errors here. I tried to do it via command prompt but I got the same result. I am not an experienced programmer and I just needed to use CUDA for my physics simulations as part of my PHD. I hope someone will be able to help me out here. My operating system is Windows 7 (64bit). I am suing Visual Studio 2012 pro from dreamspark.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v5.5\Bin\win32\Debug\deviceQuery.exe’. Symbols loaded.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvcuda.dll’. Module was built without symbols.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Unloaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll’
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvapi.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wintrust.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘deviceQuery.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The program ‘[6168] deviceQuery.exe’ has exited with code 0 (0x0).

This could be a very very trivial thing I am sure but I really cannot get it to work. Thanks!

Check if the setting “Generate Debug Info” is “Yes” under Project Properties > Configuration Properties > Linker > Debugging tab. If not, try to change it to Yes. The location of this setting in the properties explorer might vary, depending on your version of Visual Studio