Cannot import "omni.isaac" modules when Building an App with Omniverse Kit Project Template (kit 105.0+)

Hello @toni.sm

I apologize for tagging you again on this lengthy post but you seem to be the expert on “Extensions” on this forum.
I appreciate your patience in reading my posts and I am always grateful for your assistance.

I am trying to create a Kit(105.0+)based application by using the “Omniverse Kit Project Template” by following the instructions on this url below:
https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/kit/docs/kit-project-template/latest/tutorial.html#step-2-create-an-omniverse-app

The reason for building an application with Omniverse Kit, rather than creating a custom Extension on Isaac Sim, is because it does not require the end user to install Omniverse(please correct me if I am wrong) and thus it aligns well with what my team is trying to achieve,

Anyway, I was following the tutorial provided in the link above and I got to the part where I can add custom extensions to the application. (link below)
https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/kit/docs/kit-project-template/latest/tutorial.html#step-5-2-add-extensions-locally

I tried adding one of the demo extensions
(for example : isaac_sim-2022.2.1\exts\omni.isaac.demos\omni\isaac\demos\navigation_preview.py)
and when I ran the project via “.\source\apps\my_name.my_app.bat​” command, I got a “ModuleNotFoundError” for all the imports with “omni.isaac”. (error message below)

File "c:/projects/kit-project-template/source/extensions/omni.hello.world/omni/hello/world/__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    from .extension import *
  File "c:/projects/kit-project-template/source/extensions/omni.hello.world/omni/hello/world/extension.py", line 15, in <module>
    from omni.isaac.core import PhysicsContext
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'omni.isaac'

So I figured it had to do with Extension dependencies so I added "omni.isaac.core" = {} to the dependencies in the .kit file and then tried running the project again and then this is what happened.

PS C:\projects\kit-project-template> .\source\apps\my_name.my_app.bat
Loading user config located at: 'C:/Users/admin.S00071648-001/AppData/Local/ov/data/Kit/my_name.my_app/1.0/user.config.json'
[Info] [carb] Logging to file: C:/Users/admin.S00071648-001/.nvidia-omniverse/logs/Kit/my_name.my_app/1.0/kit_20230927_170433.log
2023-09-27 08:04:33 [17ms] [Warning] [omni.ext.plugin] [ext: omni.kit.window.modifier.titlebar-105.1.10+105.wx64.cp310] Built using kit version: 105. Current version: 105.0. It is considered compatible, but building with a newer version is recommended.
[0.176s] Failed to solve some dependencies locally, syncing with extension registry...
[0.180s] [ext: omni.kit.async_engine-0.0.0] startup
[0.235s] [ext: omni.assets.plugins-0.0.0] startup
[0.240s] [ext: omni.client-1.0.1] startup
[0.249s] [ext: omni.kit.registry.nucleus-0.0.0] startup
2023-09-27 08:04:37 [4,055ms] [Error] [omni.ext.plugin] Failed to resolve extension dependencies. Failure hints:
        [my_name.my_app-1.0.0 -> omni.isaac.core-1.46.3 -> omni.isaac.ml_archive-1.1.0] dependency: (name: 'omni.pip.torch', tag: '1_13_1', version: '', exact: 0, optional: 0) can't be satisfied. Available versions:
         (none found)

2023-09-27 08:04:37 [4,055ms] [Warning] [omni.kit.app.plugin] Failed to resolve extension dependencies. Trying again without extensions set to autoload: omni.hello.world-1.0.0
[4.105s] Failed to solve some dependencies locally, syncing with extension registry...
2023-09-27 08:04:37 [4,092ms] [Error] [omni.ext.plugin] Failed to resolve extension dependencies. Failure hints:
        [my_name.my_app-1.0.0 -> omni.isaac.core-1.46.3 -> omni.isaac.ml_archive-1.1.0] dependency: (name: 'omni.pip.torch', tag: '1_13_1', version: '', exact: 0, optional: 0) can't be satisfied. Available versions:
         (none found)

2023-09-27 08:04:37 [4,092ms] [Error] [omni.kit.app.plugin] Exiting app because of dependency solver failure...

It seems like the kit application is unable to resolve any dependencies regarding omni.isaac Extensions.

Is there anyway where I can build an application with Omniverse Kit and still utilize the omni.isaac Extensions such as omni.isaac.core , omni.isaac.ui, omni.isaac.dynamic_control etc?

Or is it not possible to import and use these Isaac Sim related extensions (omni.isaac) when I build an application with Omniverse Kit???

Again, your guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi @jaeyeun

To use an extension you will first need to copy such extension (and other extensions on which it depends) to any of the configured extension search paths.

Important: Please, note that Kit 105 uses Python 3.10 while latest Isaac Sim (2022.2.1 - Kit 104) uses Python 3.7. Due to this version difference, it will not be possible to load certain extensions with compiled Python files (using PyBind11 and others).

Thanks for the clarification. @toni.sm

Is there a way to downgrade the Kit SDK to 104?
Or is there another template (just like the “Omniverse Kit Project Template” for Kit SDK 105) for Kid SDK 104?
I would really like to try to create an App with Isaac Sim extensions but with the new “Omniverse Kit Project Template” for Kit SDK 105 it just seems impossible to do so.

Thanks!

Hi @jaeyeun

According to the Omniverse Kit Project Template git history, only KIt>=105.0.1 would be available.
What about donwload and use Omniverse Kit 104.2.0 from Omniverse Laucher’s Exchange?

I think it will be necessary to wait for the next version of Isaac Sim to use Kit 105 :)

@toni.sm

unfortunately, I am unable to build my app with the kit 104 app template and I think the cause might be the launcher version being 1.8.11.

I am getting the same error as these two posts

1. USD Composer · Issue #5 · NVIDIA-Omniverse/kit-app-template · GitHub
  2. Build and package errors as per kit-app-template - #5 by dvelazco

Is there an archive where I can download an older version (1.8.7 to be specific) of the Omniverse Launcher?

Also, when will the new Isaac Sim (kit 105) be released?
I was told to expect a new release for Isaac Sim by August but its October already.

Thanks!

Hi @jaeyeun

I can install and run Kit 104.2 from Omniverse Launcher 1.8.11 without any problems

I you still have problem with it, what about isolating/extract Kit 104 (kit folder) from an installed Isaac Sim app to build your own app? You can run a kit app from Isaac Sim kit folder as follow ./kit apps/omni.app.full.kit (check kit\apps folder for more options).

As a user, I lack of information to answer this question.
But according to other posts, it should be soon :)

Hi @jaeyeun - The next Isaac Sim release will be available around mid October. Thank you for your patience.

I am looking forward to it. Thanks!