Can't boot after upgrading to 510 driver on Ubuntu 20.04

We are speaking about this on linux mint forums:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=367590&p=2139960#p2139960

I think it is definitely a problem with the Nvidia-510 drivers and the creation and configuration of the MOK

The problem still persists and there is no response from nvidia. No words, any.
If I had the opportunity to buy a Lenovo Legion with an AMD graphics card, I would have.
AMD processor + AMD graphics card + USB 4 (Thunderbolt).
I don’t like how nvidia is doing things with GNU/Linux.
Having paid for a Nvidia 3070 we are entitled to good support. Amazing.

I have filed a bug 3582261 internally for problem described in original post.
However, the bug report attached by user narcoma is a different issue which is tracked under 3581599.
Request others to share nvidia bug report from repro state.

@billconan
Can you please generate a fresh bug report from repro state and share with us again.

@billconan
Can you please generate a fresh bug report from repro state and share with us again.

Some how my Ubuntu 22.04 system with an eGPU crashed, everytime the eGPU was plugged in Wayland would freeze. Removing eGPU switcher and all the drivers as you described, solved this. It not works flawlessly again.

Thanks!

@narcoma
The issue which was tracked under 3581599 is root caused to SBIOS issue, please get in touch with vendor for the same.

However, we are still not able to duplicate issue locally for bug 3582261 and trying for the same.

I had the similar problem with elementary os. After updating to 510 nvidia driver and restartating the pc booted into terminal screen. The problem is with linux headers not updating to the right version of kernel.
I solved it installing manually the 510 nvidia driver from ppa and not from ubuntu.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install nvidia-driver-510
Then I installed the right version of linux headers.
$ uname -r
Outpout:
5.13.0-48-generic
then:
$ sudo apt install linux-headers-5.13.0-48-generic
That did the trick for me. After that everything was fine when rebooting.
That means that if the bug is not corrected, we may have to repeat the operation each time the kernel updates.
I hope it can help you. Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks, it works!

1 Like