can't configure Zalman M240W stereo monitor after driver update

Hello,

I need your help to set up my Zalman M240W monitor. I have a Quadro FX4800 graphic card. After updating the driver to the latest version nvidia-Linux-x86_64-340.104, I am able to configure Zalman M240W monitor. In the nvidia-setting, this monitor is shown as DFP-1 with low resolution of 800x600. I am running RHEL 7.4. My system was running fine until the update. I have atatched the bug report and modinfo output. Please help with this problem. Thank you.

Haoming

PS. I paste the modinfo out below:
filename: /lib/modules/3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
alias: char-major-195-*
version: 340.104
supported: external
license: NVIDIA
rhelversion: 7.4
alias: pci:v000010DEd00000E00svsdbc04sc80i00*
alias: pci:v000010DEd00000AA3svsdbc0Bsc40i00*
alias: pci:v000010DEdsvsdbc03sc02i00
alias: pci:v000010DEdsvsdbc03sc00i00
depends: drm,i2c-core
vermagic: 3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions
parm: NVreg_Mobile:int
parm: NVreg_ResmanDebugLevel:int
parm: NVreg_RmLogonRC:int
parm: NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles:int
parm: NVreg_DeviceFileUID:int
parm: NVreg_DeviceFileGID:int
parm: NVreg_DeviceFileMode:int
parm: NVreg_RemapLimit:int
parm: NVreg_UpdateMemoryTypes:int
parm: NVreg_InitializeSystemMemoryAllocations:int
parm: NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable:int
parm: NVreg_MapRegistersEarly:int
parm: NVreg_RegisterForACPIEvents:int
parm: NVreg_CheckPCIConfigSpace:int
parm: NVreg_EnablePCIeGen3:int
parm: NVreg_EnableMSI:int
parm: NVreg_MemoryPoolSize:int
parm: NVreg_RegistryDwords:charp
parm: NVreg_RmMsg:charp
parm: NVreg_AssignGpus:charp
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (95.5 KB)

The logs tells about a corrupt EDID, try a different cable or connector first, see if downgrading the driver helps or your monitor’s EDID might be broken.

Hello,

I tried a few Display Port and DVI cables but it did not solve the problem. To simply trouble shooting I plugged only the zalman stereo monitor to the computer. as shown in the attached screenshot, the configuration of the monitor in X server configuration is not properly configured. It looks like it lacked correct driver. when I tried to roll back nvidia driver to 340.102 or 32 version, it failed to install. The log files are also attached. Please advise how to trouble shoot why rhel 7.4 fails to recognize the Zalman monitor. What is puzzling is that a Samsung SyncMster LCD monitor was correctly configured. This points to the possibility that nvidia does not recognize the Zalman monitor. Please advise. Thank you!!
nvidia-installer-102.log (269 KB)
nvidia-installer-32.log (51.2 KB)

Your monitor’s EDID is broken, I’m attaching a fixed one, reneme it to edid.bin, put it in /etc/X11 and load it by adding

Option "CustomEDID" "DVI-I-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"

to the device section of your xorg.conf
edid.bin.txt (128 Bytes)

I am certain my cable is fine. This morning I substitute a Dell monitor for Zalman monitor and used the exact cable to make the connection. After reboot, both Samsung and Dell monitors were recognized. Please see the attached screenshots. I was able to configure both of them. This points to the settings or drivers for Zalman monitor is not working. I’ll try your suggestion by adding the Option “DVI-I-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin” in the device section of the xorg.conf file and let you know the outcome. Thank you for your help.

Haoming

IMG_2704.jpg

I did as you instructed by placing edid.bin in /etc/X11 and modifed xorg.conf. The modified xorg.conf is pasted below. But this time the computer recognized only the zalman monitor for Samsung SyncMaster. I did not have both monitors configured correctly. As I don’t know what the edid.bin does, I would appreciate your help to configure both Samsung SyncMaster as primary and the zalman monitor as secondary tereo monitor. Please feel fee to change the xorg.conf file. Thank you.

Haoming

my xorg.conf file:

nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings

nvidia-settings: version 340.104 (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-19) Thu Sep 14 17:27:48 PDT 2017

nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

nvidia-xconfig: version 340.104 (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-19) Thu Sep 14 17:28:00 PDT 2017

Section “ServerLayout”
Identifier “Layout0”
Screen 0 “Screen0” 0 0
InputDevice “Keyboard0” “CoreKeyboard”
InputDevice “Mouse0” “CorePointer”
Option “Xinerama” “0”
EndSection

Section “Files”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

# generated from default
Identifier     "Mouse0"
Driver         "mouse"
Option         "Protocol" "auto"
Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

# generated from default
Identifier     "Keyboard0"
Driver         "kbd"

EndSection

Section “Monitor”
Identifier “Monitor0”
VendorName “Unknown”
ModelName “Samsung SyncMaster”
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option “DPMS”
EndSection

Section “Device”
Identifier “Device0”
Driver “nvidia”
VendorName “NVIDIA Corporation”
BoardName “Quadro FX 4800”
Option “CustomEDID” “DVI-I-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin”
EndSection

Section “Screen”
Identifier “Screen0”
Device “Device0”
Monitor “Monitor0”
DefaultDepth 24
Option “Stereo” “0”
Option “nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder” “DFP-0”
Option “metamodes” “DVI-I-1: nvidia-auto-select +800+0, DP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0”
Option “SLI” “Off”
Option “MultiGPU” “Off”
Option “BaseMosaic” “off”
SubSection “Display”
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Change the line to
Option “CustomEDID” “DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin”
If that still doesn’t fit, please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I changed the option to “DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid/bin” as you suggested and it worked in a way both monitors are now picked up by nvidia-setting as shown in the attached screenshot. But the Zalman monitor is not shown as a stereo monitor and I can’t change its refresh rates. Its frefresh rate is fixed at 60 Hz and this rate won’t work for stereo view of molecules. Could yu please advise how to set up the Zalman monitor for stereo view? Thank you!!

Haoming

in RHEL 5 I was able to set up stereo view using a layout with two screens, two monitors,and two device (in fact I have obnly one nvidia graphic card) as shown in the attached xorg.conf file. In this xorg.conf I was able to configure both monitor separately. For stereo view the refresh rate must be above 60 Hz. Now I can’t change refresh rate as it’s fixed at 60 Hz. Do you think I still can use my old xorg.conf by including edid.bin option?
Haoming
xorg.conf.txt (3.57 KB)

You can just use the old xorg.conf since that sets explicitly the frequencies for your monitors. Don’t use the edid.bin in that case since that would override the frequencies.

I have tried the old xorg.conf before. But it crashed. it just gave me two white screens. Let me try it again. if failed again I’ll send you the nvidia error report. Thanks.

Haoming

A sidenote: if you’re running 3D Vision, this is incompatible with compositing, that’s why you have
Section “Extensions”
Option “Composite” “Disable”
EndSection
in your old xorg.conf. RHEL uses Gnome as desktop, which doesn’t work without compositing any more. The old Gnome had a fallback mode for that.
So if you want to use 3D Vision, you’ll have to switch to something like XFCE.

Thank you for your advice. I wonder if there is any way to make stereo view working within GNOME. I gave my old xorg.conf one more shot. It failed as expected. But this time I have generated a nvidia-bug-report for the crash. Could you please take a look at both the bug report and modinfo nvidia output and comment what would be the best option to get stereo view back for my Zalman monitor? Thank you so much.

Haoming
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (88 KB)

modinfo.nvidia.out.txt (1.33 KB)

The old config doesn’t work at all, the xserver is not even outputting a log. So just revert to the previous xorg.conf.
I’m a bit puzzled by what you want to achieve. I’ve looked at the specs of your Zalman monitor and it’s only a 60Hz monitor at 1920x1080, it doesn’t support more than that. Higher refresh rates are only possible at lower resolutions. i.e. 1024x768@85Hz. Besides that, this is a device which 3D functionality works using polarization using passive glasses.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zalman_zm_m240w_stereoscopic_monitor_review,2.html
To turn this on, add

Option "Stereo" "7"

to the device section of the xorg.conf. (The 7 might be a 5, the Nvidia docs are a bit unclear)
Though, afaik stereo doesn’t work with compositing so you might have to add

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

to your xorg.conf which absolutely breaks gnome, no way around it.
What kind of gear have you been using before for 3D?

You are right the Zalman monitor is a passive stereo monitor that needs polarized glassess. The old xorg.conf worked in rhel 5 for 7 years until recently we had to upgrade to rhel 7. This upgrade failed the stereo view. Red har can’t help me much because we have a nvidia card quadro FX 4800 and your driver is IP protected. You are my only hope to get the stereo view back.

In the old xorg.conf, we set one layout, two monitors and two devices.

Then start by disconnecting the Samsung monitor and add the stereo option. See what happens, maybe passive stereo works with compositing.

Following your suggestion I connected Zalman monitor only and was able to configure it right with passive stereo view. The xorg.conf is pasted below. The problem is I can’t add a second monitor without losing the stereo view. I’ve been in contact with the tech support of Red Hat. I was told GNOME3 requires compositing and can’t be disabled. And Red Hat does not support XFCE. However they suggest I may want to try KDE desktop. But they do not if KDE desktop works with nvidia driver. I wonder if you know KDE desktop is compatible with your nvidia driver for dual displays with stereo view. Thank you for your patience.

Haoming

xorg.conf (work for single Zalmon monitor with stereo view)

nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings

nvidia-settings: version 340.104 (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-19) Thu Sep 14 17:27:48 PDT 2017

nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

nvidia-xconfig: version 340.104 (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-19) Thu Sep 14 17:28:00 PDT 2017

Section “ServerLayout”
Identifier “Layout0”
Screen 0 “Screen0” 0 0
InputDevice “Keyboard0” “CoreKeyboard”
InputDevice “Mouse0” “CorePointer”
Option “Xinerama” “0”
EndSection

Section “Files”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

# generated from default
Identifier     "Mouse0"
Driver         "mouse"
Option         "Protocol" "auto"
Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

# generated from default
Identifier     "Keyboard0"
Driver         "kbd"

EndSection

Section “Monitor”
Identifier “Monitor0”
VendorName “Unknown”
ModelName “ZMT ZM-M240W”
HorizSync 15.0 - 94.0
VertRefresh 24.0 - 88.0
Option “DPMS”
EndSection

Section “Device”
Identifier “Device0”
Driver “nvidia”
VendorName “NVIDIA Corporation”
BoardName “Quadro FX 4800”
Option “CustomEDID” “DVI-I-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin”
EndSection

Section “Screen”

Removed Option “metamodes” “DVI-I-1: nvidia-auto-select +800+0, DP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0”

Removed Option “nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder” “DVI-I-1”

Removed Option “metamodes” “DVI-I-1: 1920x1080 +0+0”

Identifier     "Screen0"
Device         "Device0"
Monitor        "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth    24
Option         "Stereo" "7"
Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option         "metamodes" "1920x1080 +0+0"
Option         "SLI" "Off"
Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
SubSection     "Display"
    Depth       24
EndSubSection

EndSection

This is pretty much what I see as your only hope if you want to stick with RHEL since it only supports Gnome (no-go) and KDE (maybe). KDE might work without compositing. I never tested, though. So first, you will have to change the login manager (display manager) from GDM to sddm. From that, change your user session to a KDE session. Once you have that running, you can disable compositing and see if it still works. If that works, the xorg.conf can be changed to get both monitors working again.

I’ll give KDE a shot, otherwise I’ll have to work with Zalman monitor only. Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Haoming

Something to test for you, using Gnome and compositing on, don’t know if this works

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "Layout0"
	Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
	InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    	Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
	Option "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"