Can't control fan speed with beta driver 349.12

Well I upgraded today to 349.16-2, I not only got this same issue with NO Fan adjustment with CoolBits set at any given number 4,5,12,28 you name it we have tried it, and NO Terminal based commands don’t work either! (nothing I have tried has gotten the system back to where it was only a few days ago, “was” enjoying Steam and gaming on Linux)

I also have other issues now as well, noticed the PCI-E lane on 1x not 16x!!! and performance took a dump to, with Performance level 3 the max MHz is only 549mhz not 1306mhz core clock like expected! One full year running my current OS, no probs till this update prob. careful if you are using GTX200~600 GPU’s

Hello; Expanded issue, Driver 349.16 situation when installed on an Ubuntu 15.04 system with more than one GPU and a display.

In this case the fan control and OC in the first GPU with the first screen still disappearing after a second (after showing the time) but on the other GPUs remains and works perfectly both fan cotrol GPU, the OC temperature monitor and management.

In summary when more than one GPU and a screen, the problem is only the first GPU.

Linux-x86_64

“enable GPU fan settings” are not working with this recently (5/5/15) installed driver.
CoolBits are set to “4”.

Default 1200 rmp fan-speed is too low for my 77*F dwelling.

Hello: Coolbits is “12” control fan and OC

carlesa25,
Well, I tried “CoolBits 12”, rebooted, no difference.

The slider portion of the settings screen is visible for a split second, and is then obscured, checkbox visiable.

The previous driver worked.

Hello - phemt -: If the problem persists, as it has been mentioned in this thread, you mention both see. 349.12 and the 349.16, the driver ver. 346.59 Coolbits everything works well and “12” is adequate.

It seems that NVIDIA is not aware of the problems caused by their driver in Linux versions … unfortunate. Greetings.

Replace “GPUCurrentFanSpeed” with “GPUTargetFanSpeed” in your command.

They made some modfication in the recent driver, see:

nvidia-settings -q all | grep Fan

That attribute is not present on my system:

nvidia-settings -q all | grep Fan
  Attribute 'GPUFanControlState' (gothmog:1[gpu:0]): 0.
    'GPUFanControlState' is a boolean attribute; valid values are: 1 (on/true) and 0 (off/false).
    'GPUFanControlState' can use the following target types: GPU.
  Attribute 'GPUCurrentFanSpeedRPM' (gothmog:1[fan:0]): 990.
    'GPUCurrentFanSpeedRPM' is an integer attribute.
    'GPUCurrentFanSpeedRPM' is a read-only attribute.
    'GPUCurrentFanSpeedRPM' can use the following target types: Fan.
  Attribute 'GPUFanControlType' (gothmog:1[fan:0]): 2.
    'GPUFanControlType' is an integer attribute.
    'GPUFanControlType' is a read-only attribute.
    'GPUFanControlType' can use the following target types: Fan.
  Attribute 'GPUFanTarget' (gothmog:1[fan:0]): 0x00000007.
    'GPUFanTarget' is a bitmask attribute.
    'GPUFanTarget' is a read-only attribute.
    'GPUFanTarget' can use the following target types: Fan.

Use 349.16.

That’s what I’m using.

Odd.

To give more details I’m using 349.16 on GTX 780.
I had previously relied on some scripts to cool my GPU during gaming.
After upgrading to 349.16 (from 346.35) I bumped into the same issue as described above:

ERROR: The attribute 'GPUCurrentFanSpeed' specified in assignment '[fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=80' cannot be assigned (it is a read-only attribute).

The fan control in the Nvidia control panel however still worked fine.

Replacing “GPUCurrentFanSpeed” with “GPUTargetFanSpeed” in my script does work, but why it doesn’t on other boards (while on the same driver) IDK.

Hopefully bumping the thread will get devs attention.

#nvidia-settings -a “[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1” -a “[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80”

Attribute ‘GPUFanControlState’ (linuxbox64:0[gpu:0]) assigned value 1.

ERROR: Error assigning value 80 to attribute ‘GPUTargetFanSpeed’ (linuxbox64:0[fan:0]) as specified in assignment
‘[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80’ (Unknown Error).

Same problem here.
349.12 Beta

nvidia-settings -a “[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1” -a “[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80”

Attribute ‘GPUFanControlState’ (box64:0[gpu:0]) assigned value 1.

ERROR: Error assigning value 80 to attribute ‘GPUTargetFanSpeed’ (box64:0[fan:0]) as specified in assignment
‘[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80’ (Unknown Error).

#nvidia-settings -a “[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1” -a “[fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=80”

Attribute ‘GPUFanControlState’ (ultrahost:1[gpu:0]) assigned value 1.

ERROR: The attribute ‘GPUCurrentFanSpeed’ specified in assignment ‘[fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=80’ cannot be assigned (it is a read-only attribute).

#nvidia-settings -a “[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1” -a “[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80”

Attribute ‘GPUFanControlState’ (ultrahost:1[gpu:0]) assigned value 1.

ERROR: Error assigning value 80 to attribute ‘GPUTargetFanSpeed’ (ultrahost:1[fan:0]) as specified in assignment ‘[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80’ (Unknown Error).

It’s fixed in 352.09, thanks.

Awesome.
And what is the Attribute used now, “GPUCurrentFanSpeed” or “GPUTargetFanSpeed” ?

GPUTargetFanSpeed